Review RCBS Summit Press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
The handle broke.
I have limited reloading space so when I got my LnL progress press I got rid of my rcbs rock chucker press. I got an RCBS Summit press to take its place. I have loaded about 300 rounds with it so far. The smaller press takes a lot of torque on the handle to full length size 308 brass. I resized about 30 cases this evening and the handle broke off. Instead of RCBS threading the outside of the handle, it looks like they tapped the inside of the of the handle and installed a stud.
I had the handle tight, I put a wrench on it before I started reloading tonight, but it still broke. I assume with all the pulling and pushing on the handle it came a little loose and broke off. I never felt the handle wiggle or turn.

I cannot get the stud out of the handle, I assume they used Loctite on it. I guess I will call RCBS in the morning to see if they want me to spend $10 to mail in the old handle before they will warranty it.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I will Loctite the handle next time.
I just looked and I have a shell plate for the LnL press. I am glad I didn't trade off my regular 308 dies.

DT Jeff

Marksman
Reaction score
I've been using my Summit for 3 years now w/o problem. Sounds like you need more lube while resizing. Depending on what caliber I use both dry lube and a lanolin/Heet wet mixture

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I use hornady unique case lube, I tried more lube, hornady one shot and rcbs case lube all were about the same.
I called rcbs, they are sending me a new handle. The lady on the phone knew exactly what had happened.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, RCBS sent a new handle free of charge. They did not ask me to send in the old one. I guess it is a normal problem. I used red Loctite on the handle. I am not really worried, RCBS would of sent the new handle and part of the press it screws into if I would not of been able to get the broken piece out.
I do not see a way it could break again without having some sort of wiggle in it, so the red Loctite should solve the problem.
I watched the entire press as I sized the first piece of brass, and everything moved. I started checking all of the bolts that hold the different parts together and everything was loose. I am going to get some blue Loctite tomorrow and put some on all of the screws and bolts.
A few days ago I pulled a part my sizing die and cleaned and lubed it. Sizing was much easier, it took a lot less pressure. the die was new from a competition die set. I think it was dirty from the factory. I had not cleaned it before using it, I should of.
this weekend I am going to dissemble all of my dies for cleaning and lubing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is something I do to all my new dies.
And it makes them much slicker.
I polish the inside with meguires mirror glaze #3.
I use a bore brush with paper towels wrapped around them to make a bore mop and add the mirror glaze to it.
place the mop in a drill press turn it on and polish the die up and down.
Or use a drill.
This stuff will not remove metal only polish what is there. I use it for final rubbing after wet sanding a painted car.
Or you can use #2 it works a bit faster.
Here is the stuff I am talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-3-Professional-Machine-Glaze/dp/B00091QU8G

Latest posts

Top Bottom