Review: Wilshire Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, by that logic, being the only 100yd, air conditioned indoor option makes it suddenly affordable regardless of cost?

nope.

He's not saying it's affordable as much as it is reasonable based on the old supply and demand rules.

A climate controlled 100yd range is very valuable for lots of folks, especially in August and January! Lol.
It's not for me, but I can see it.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, by that logic, being the only 100yd, air conditioned indoor option makes it suddenly affordable regardless of cost?

nope.

Economics. Look it up. ;)

I haven't yet checked the place out but at some point I will. The whole reason I moved to Edmond was to be closer to the gun club so that I could use it regularly. I don't need to give my business to anybody but I don't mind doing so from time to time. I also like seeing competition. It keeps things honest!

A couple of points:
Soonersfan is bang on, if they're smart they'll charge all that the traffic will bear.

Best price and best value are rarely if ever the same. I have zero compunctions about paying for quality service... part of the reason I'm hardly ever at H&H for more than looking for one specific small item to save me the trouble of ordering it online or the occasional pistol match.

Time limits on range time make sense. I've worked at a range. When things are busy this is the simplest, smoothest and low stress way for both the business and the customers to moderate range usage on busy days. Fact: there are a finite number of available lanes. That number is probably less than the people who want to use them in a given day. With a system like this customers understand that they can use the range as long as they want but they will be charged accordingly, especially on busy days. That being said, in direct contravention of range policy those of us who actually ran the place that I worked at on a daily basis wouldn't even THINK of charging a customer more than an hour if there's nobody waiting for it's use, they aren't making an ass of themselves or what have you. We liked our customers and they were what let us exist! Give and take... :thumbup3:

100yds, will you folks have a 'suggestion' box of sorts at the facility or some manner of taking feedback? Is this something that you'll actively review periodically? Speaking frankly many suggestions from customers can be impossible due to the physical plant, not make business sense or just be so asinine as to make your eyes bleed when you read them... there will however be occasional gems. Maybe a tagline on the receipts for a feedback email address so that you only get folks who are actually vested in the place by spending money, even if only in a very small sense. That sort of helps to filter out everybody and their inbred brotherdaddy from flinging poo over the internet for fun.

Ek

Last edited:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Economics. Look it up. ;)

I haven't yet checked the place out but at some point I will. The whole reason I moved to Edmond was to be closer to the gun club so that I could use it regularly. I don't need to give my business to anybody but I don't mind doing so from time to time. I also like seeing competition. It keeps things honest!

A couple of points:
Soonersfan is bang on, if they're smart they'll charge all that the traffic will bare.

Best price and best value are rarely if ever the same. I have zero compunctions about paying for quality service... part of the reason I'm hardly ever at H&H for more than looking for one specific small item to save me the trouble of ordering it online or the occasional pistol match.

Time limits on range time make sense. I've worked at a range. When things are busy this is the simplest, smoothest and low stress way for both the business and the customers to moderate range usage on busy days. Fact: there are a finite number of available lanes. That number is probably less than the people who want to use them in a given day. With a system like this customers understand that they can use the range as long as they want but they will be charged accordingly, especially on busy days. That being said, in direct contravention of range policy those of us who actually ran the place on a daily basis wouldn't even THINK of charging a customer more than an hour if there's nobody waiting for it's use, they aren't making an ass of themselves or what have you. We liked our customers and they were let us exist! Give and take... :thumbup3:

100yds, will you folks have a 'suggestion' box of sorts at the facility or some manner of taking such? Is this something that you'll actively review periodically? Speaking frankly many suggestions from customers can be impossible due to the physical plant, not make business sense or just be so asinine as to make your eyes bleed when you read them... there will however be occasional gems. Maybe a tagline on the receipts for feedback email so that you get folks who are actually vested in the place by spending money even if only in a very small sense. That sort of helps to filter out everybody and their inbred brotherdaddy from flinging poo over the internet for fun.

Ek

Very well said. Good post ...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking frankly many suggestions from customers can be impossible due to the physical plant, not make business sense or just be so asinine as to make your eyes bleed when you read them... there will however be occasional gems. Maybe a tagline on the receipts for feedback email so that you get folks who are actually vested in the place by spending money even if only in a very small sense. That sort of helps to filter out everybody and their inbred brotherdaddy from flinging poo over the internet for fun.

Your spot on. There was a whole table of us that spoke to the owners when they told us they wanted input. We got their idea of what they wanted the range to be, and afterward there were not a lot of questions. The owner said their gun crew was NOT going to be aholes, they were going to be customer oriented, and interested in what the customer had to say.

I loved that response, and hope the management keeps that business philosophy.

I've mainly dealt in internet sales because of the sorry a$$'d attitudes of the gun shop employees. I don't appreciate the jerks in most.

I've had great dealings with H&H. Zeke at the reloading section is a gem. Wilshire gun club is another place I'll shop at if they keep that business model up.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to Wilshire yesterday to try them out and this is my random thoughts review. First, let me say that $15 is not that bad. Most people stay about 50 minutes. What is the difference between paying $15 for an hour versus all day? The ability to complain. Most of the people there were very friendly. I did see at least one mall ninja behind a counter. Brad and Bleu at the range counter were VERY friendly. Both asked me how I liked it and what could be made better. The facility is very clean and the range hasn't been shot up yet by the State Fair crowd. The place does remind me of a jail, though. The gray cinder blocks, the steel doors and the railing up top just make me think of a detention facility. I like the electronic range control. Quick and easy. The ventilation in the 35 yard range needed to refresh more quickly. Brad did say they were working on getting a prone shooting solution worked out. On the retail part, they have a looong way to go. Selection is minimal and the prices are crazy on some items. $49 for a Glock mag? I did not look at gun prices, though. The firearm selection was okay. I did see one guy staring at a gun and then looking for assistance with a gun. That went on for about a minute. The greeters at the door were chatting.... The cafe was okay. It is not set up for their clientele. The food was average. I had the Theta burger. It was cooked right, but lacked pizzazz. This is where they could learn a lesson from H&H. Food. Obviously, there aren't too many people that have missed a meal there. The onion rings of Miss Yvonne are some of the best I have ever had. Wilshire, you suck on that. 7 pre-fab, over salted greasy onion rings? And you invoke the name of the Split T? I am embarassed for you. Summary; Wilshire has a very nice range. There are some people that will absolutely give you awesome service. They also have a few of "those guys." Not many, but they stand out. Secondly, I don't know if they were in a hurry to open the doors, but there are too many after thoughts. The hard furniture, the average food... it reminds me of a McDonald's in an airport. And yes, I have had a beer in a McDonald's airport. It is nice to see Cold Hand in a more convenient building. I hope Steve does well. I know they will work on the details. They have to. I will go back and try the 100 yard range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom