Review: Wilshire Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have some high expectations. Please review H&H.

I did preface the review by saying I hate H&H. And I do have a certain standard I expect, I don't think it's excessively high, it's just high for Oklahoma city. I haven't found any pay per day ranges in okc that really meet the standard I expect and the closest was heartland before that fell flat financially.

Also please remember, a review is subjective always no what anyone says. I tried to be as fair as possible and include as much information as I could so you can make your own decision and if you like it there, go for it. Some have said they don't see a problem with the time limit because they only spend 50 mins at the range. Personally, I spend 2 hours or more on a normal day and if I'm bringing out the bolt gun it's probably going to be longer than that. And I can just imagine how long I may be there is I haul in the chrony and start getting data from load development. So for me that can be a deal breaker. All subjective, take it with a grain of salt and go try the place for yourself.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Devo, it all boils down to marginal utility. Some people use the range as a social event. Some are more serious. If I need to run my bolt gun, I'm going to the gun club. Though, I will try Wilshire. I realize that they have some bugs to work out. This may be the owners' first foray into retail. Retail is tough enough. Add firearms to that and it exponentially becomes more difficult. I do wish them well. Competition is good for everyone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I can just imagine how long I may be there is I haul in the chrony and start getting data from load development. .

Since a Chrony has to be about 12' in front of the muzzle for accurate readings, how are your going to set it up on any indoor range?

Walk in front of the firing line?

Serious question. I'm a 99.9% outdoor shooter. Just wondering how you and the range are going to make this happen.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since a Chrony has to be about 12' in front of the muzzle for accurate readings, how are your going to set it up on any indoor range?

Walk in front of the firing line?

Serious question. I'm a 99.9% outdoor shooter. Just wondering how you and the range are going to make this happen.

I pondered the same question.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I spoke to one of their instructors a little bit; he was a young guy, perhaps a little younger than most that I know, but I was impressed. I got the feeling that he was experience-oriented, very much an advocate for his students, and was not at all ego-driven. This impressed me.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all fairness, I don't own and haven't used a chronograph for my load developing yet. I'm just getting started on the whole reloading bit. Having not used one yet I didn't know where I would be setting it up. It was just the first example that came to my brain for a lot of set and using a climate controlled indoor range for info gathering rather than just blasting and leaving.

Maybe I should have used an example I'm more familiar with, but my point stands, if you have a lot of set up, tear down, data gathering, etc it can take a while and the hour time limit would tear up my wallet and make it a no go for me.

And I agree, time limits at the range are not unreasonable. I have no problem paying for a block of time. However, IMHO, as the one guy I am, I feel that 28/hour is very pricey for what I got and the experience at the range. Again, that's just me, for what I do and how I feel. If you think it's completely fair priced and a great experience, by all means please enjoy it. It's definitely a unique and different range.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just between my wife and I we can spend well over an hour at the range. If we bring any family along, it could get to 3+ hours easily. And that's just with pistols alone. I'm not exactly poor, but I do place a value on the money I earn and prefer to get the most out of it. Spending 50 cents a minute is not a value to me.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I pondered the same question.
He's going to set it on the firing line and shoot from 12' behind it. :bolt:

Competition is good for everyone.
Better for some than others. You know who thinks the hourly lane rental is a great idea? Miles Hall

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stopped in and looked around a bit with my wife today. Will throw a few things in that I noticed especially since she walks with a cane currently and one thing that REALLY bugs me.

The inside look to me is very nice but it's also the new yet old look for the floors. Kinda wonder if they really were patched or just made to look that way for looks sake.

I agree that the rifle and shotgun selection and display looks fairly nice and some of the highly accurized 10/22's was interesting to see to say the least. It was nice to be able to take a look at the pistols and not feel like it was a burden for someone to get something out of a case even if the selection was on the small side from what I am used to seeing. I would have enjoyed seeing multiple of the same caliber/brand close together for direct comparison however. A full size M&P with a compact and shield on the same table with maybe the comparable version by Glock or some other brands. Now here is one of my pet peve's and maybe it's just the way I look at things but the system for "securing" the pistols is poor to say the least IMHO. I think it's only a matter of time before some decent looking guy with a few "friends" as lookouts and someone who really looks like a thug come in as a distraction. A pair of side cutters will make quick work of that cable and the pistol will end up in a bag or jacket and on the streets. I expected to see a heavier cable with a dummy load on the end of it securing everything together or something that when cut will sound an alert. All I know is if I had displays looking like that I would be EXTREMELY paranoid and would be looking for a better solution as quickly as possible.

For those people who walk with a cane or are bound to a wheelchair, from what I can see you will have access to the store, the parking spots are right in front where they belong and there is a lift available but it looks like an employee will be required to operate it so bring a friend to go inside or have the number and a cell phone ready if you can't make it up the stairs as no ramp is available. I did not notice much else beyond that and did not use the range to be aware of anything there. There is a flight of stairs inside that goes up and did not notice if there was access via another elevator and did not see a lift. I know that this info doesn't matter to most people but when you have lived with someone who can not walk you tend to look and there are some who will need to know.

Someone else mention the mag prices and I do have to agree that some adjustments will need to be made. A M&P .45 10 rounder was about $40 and a 15 round M&P 40 was $65, online at midway the .45 would be pretty close but the .40 can be had easily for about $25 plus shipping so pick and choose as when the capacity goes over a certain amount it looks like the price hits a premium.

I also have to agree that prices on weapons are very close to MSRP but I expect that will change soon enough unless they start getting some .22lr bulk packs to give along with a purchase they may not be doing as much sales as they would like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom