revisiting a question about foregrips...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find it so I thought I'd bring it up again;

Does anyone know the NFA stance on using a gripwell on an AR pistol?

I can't find any info about it from either Fab Defense, Tactical magwell, or never-quit-grip.

I know that at least one ar manufacturer makes an extended magwell for use as a grip; http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/p-77-apa-lower.aspx

So, anyone have any idea?

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Logic would dictate that you'd be good to go. So that means the ATF probably doesn't allow it.

Have you ever used one of those magwell grips? They ain't very comfy.

actually, I kinda love mine. that's the reason I want to put one on the 9mm psitol I just got.
Comes from my paintball days. I played very close and very tight, so the feeling is very natural to me.

side note, the magpul AFG is also much more comfortable to me than a standard stock grab. I guess it would fall in the same boat. Is it really a foregrip if it lies at a 30 degree angle?

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep my grips at the furthest point on the rail I can get them. Someone told me once that I look like I'm shooting a compound bow that's too big for me.

I'd think the AFG would be a no-no since its forward. Personally I wouldn't worry about putting a magwell grip on a pistol.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im thinkn it's probly a NoNo. i mean alot thinks dnt make sense in the laws nad it clearly written that an extra grip isnt allowed on a pistol, because then it isnt designed for one hand

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must say it is sad we must rely on the opinion of the anti-civilian ownership of the ATFE for their opinions, which carry the weight of law. There is nothing said in the GCA of 1934 that says anything about vertical forgrips on pistols, but the ATF in their infinite wisdom thinks they are too dangerous for us lowly sheeple to own without a bunch of paperwork!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it came about in the May 19th 1986 fopa which banned MG mfg.
Before that we sold lots of forward grips for macs,tecs and other pistols.
Then one day we got a atf letter saying you couldn't have those on a gun anymore.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Id +1 the call to the ATF. It may sound like a grey area to us, but to them a handstop might fall in line with a VFG.

If you think about it, they both accomplish the same goal (sort of).

Latest posts

Top Bottom