Revolver for a friend arthritis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As been said, the LW's are NOT range guns. The lighter the gun, the more recoil. However, if this is a gun she is going to put in her purse and not use until it's a must then check into a Smith model 38 or 442. You might bring up a Snubbie 22 mag, just a thought.
Check into a Beretta 32 Tom-Cat w/the flip up barrel. That way she never has to pull the slide back.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good suggestions. I was asked the same question last week, and now I have better ideas than my first thoughts. OSA can always be counted on for good advice. (well, most of the time)

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger LCR .327 Mag. The LCR has an easy trigger pull and the .327 gives one a wide range of cartridges with recoil from extremely light to fairly large. .32 short, .32 long, .32 H&R mag, .327 Mag. My personal choice is the H&R round, good penetration with manageable recoil. It has a 6 shot capacity as opposed to most other J Frame sized revolvers that have 5. Check out Hickock .45's review of this revolver in the .327.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A second on the Smith .380 EZ. We took one to my sister -in-law in Va. in Oct. to try. She could rack one in the chamber and she couldn't with the Glock 9mm her now deceased husband had bought for both of them. It cost me $25 to transfer it to her.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the SW .380EZ or as surjimmy said, a tip-up barrel Beretta. But if she wants a revolver, a steel frame is a must to lessen recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel frame is a must, but I honestly think that the DA trigger pull may also be an issue for most people with serious arthritis issues (9-12 # in most unmodified guns). Firing in SA won't be feasible in most self-defense situations.

I'd suggest letting your friend dry fire in DA to see if they are comfortable doing so before purchasing anything. If the gun will be carried in a purse and used for home defense, I'd go with a 2.5" or 3" K frame. No need for a lightweight gun in those circumstances.

A S&W trigger can be easily modified for a reliable DA trigger pull in the +/- 6 lb range using certain types of primers. However, I wouldn't ever recommend having a self-defense weapon with that light of a DA trigger unless you are familiar with the modifications to perform and religiously test the ammo that you will be using for 100% ignition. It's not uncommon for reduced power springs to settle after a period of time and have light primer strikes on a gun that was once completely reliable.

Last edited: