Revolver or semi auto ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been going early in the morning to the range at least once and sometimes twice a week for the past couple of months now shooting 100 rounds each time through my Remington R1-S M1911 in 45 ACP and I've gotten to the point that I can pretty much ring whichever size 25 yd. gong I'm aiming at each time I send a bullet downrange......I never get tired of hearing the clang and seeing the splat appear. :)

Anyway, this morning I thought I'd leave the M1911 at home and take my 4" stainless Ruger GP-100 in .357 Mag, that I haven't fired in about a year, and 100 rounds of my pet loaded 125 gr. JHP's.

I swear there could have been a gong as big as the end of a 55 gallon drum downrange and I'd have probably missed it.....I'd have probably done just as good being blindfolded and chunkin' rocks downrange.

Thinking that it was the gun and not me (yeah right) I shot from a rest and it was....Bang !, Clang ! every time I pulled the trigger so apparently I need to start taking my revolvers to the range more often.

Which do you feel you shoot better, a revolver or a semi auto ?

Last edited:

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like both but feel a revolver needs more shooting to stay proficient. It's easier for me to accurately shoot one of my SIG pistols infrequently than it is one of my revolvers. Because I prefer to carry a revolver I tend to shoot them more frequently.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it come to CCW....I go both ways. :hey3: I practice with my carry semi, my car semi, my yard work revolver and my "if I don't carry the semi" .357 revolver. Love to mix it up when I shoot.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it absolutely, positively, needs a hole in it right now, my K frame S&W.
But what would you expect from a guy that had an M15 in service and only bought a semi-auto after he retired?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also tend to not keep guns I dont shoot well if they arent intended to be safe queens for me. There's enough fish in the sea that I dont see the need to force myself to "learn" one pistol when I shoot these others equally the same.

I can transition pretty seamlessly between my Hi Power, Kimber, Buckmark, P238 and 686. Thems are keepers. SP101, LCR, FS92, G21, P85...those came and went as I didnt enjoy them or shoot them well.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Revolvers are easy guns to shoot but they are hard guns to shoot well for mot people. That said, I am at my best with revolvers. This has led to a big row on the Kansas forum where one member has insisted that striker-fired semi-autos are the best for everyone.

Mac's eagle eye strikes again!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom