Revolver or semi auto ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I felt like banging some 25 yd. steel (as opposed to missing) so I left the revolvers at home and went to the range at daybreak yesterday morning, for the second time this week, with another 100 rounds of hand loaded 230 gr. ball 45 ACP and the Remington 1911......I was the only one on the range and I had a good time.

I know I'm not going to get any better with the GP-100 till I start shooting it more but for now I'm just having too much fun shooting the 1911.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My question is are you shooting the revolver double action or single? My accuracy improves quite a bit when I pull the hammer back. Again that is if I owned a firearm. :)
I almost always shoot my revolvers DA. In fact, the Model 65 in my avatar has no SA notch on the trigger, having been removed by a gunsmith many moons ago.

I’m less accurate with single action on a revolver. No trigger pull to steady my sight picture
I'm the same way. I found that the long DA pull cut down on my flinching and then I noticed that that my accuracy was as good as it was in SA.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I almost always shoot my revolvers DA. In fact, the Model 65 in my avatar has no SA notch on the trigger, having been removed by a gunsmith many moons ago.

I'm the same way. I found that the long DA pull cut down on my flinching and then I noticed that that my accuracy was as good as it was in SA.
You know how to shoot. You probably also can stage any DA trigger to right before the hammer drops, effectively being the same thing that you get in SA in case you want to wait for say a deer to come out from behind a tree at 70 yds.
But almost no one who owns a revo knows how to do this or even that you CAN do this. Cause gun tv shows and magazines are too busy selling crap and gun instructors are too busy telling anecdotes

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot my revolvers double action only except when I want precision longer range shots. I also shoot all my SIGs DAO (including my P220 DAK) so don't find any problem adjusting between the two platforms. I enjoy shooting my .357 and .44 revolvers much more than any of my semi automatics. Every time I go to the range to shoot my revolvers I also shoot my two carry mags from my EDC P365 and reload with fresh carry ammo. I only occasionally shoot my P320 XCARRY or P220 but whenever I do I have no trouble with the changeover.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blackhawks and 1911s. Don't like Bisley or Glock, just don't feel right.
Muscle memory and practice make a difference, but the gun is important, too.

Acquired a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Took to range, had a target with life-size squirrels on it. 6 head shots and I was amazed. My Buddy was dumbfounded. He loaded the cylinder and 6 head shots. Another shooter was asking about the caliber. He took 3 shots, all head shots. Offered to buy the gun. It is not now and probably never will be for sale.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know how to shoot. You probably also can stage any DA trigger to right before the hammer drops, effectively being the same thing that you get in SA in case you want to wait for say a deer to come out from behind a tree at 70 yds.
But almost no one who owns a revo knows how to do this or even that you CAN do this. Cause gun tv shows and magazines are too busy selling crap and gun instructors are too busy telling anecdotes
Actually, I don't stage the trigger as I do a straight through especially on my S&W wheelies. With practice, it is not at all hard, and it pays to have strong wrists, hands and forearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom