Revolver Round Up Ammo Gel Tests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Some interesting results of ammo fired from snub revolvers at this year’s revolver round up by the guys at Active Response. . Almost none of them expanded so the general conclusion is just carry a round that gives adequate penetration and minimize recoil from +P and other JHP ammo in a snub. The one exception I saw was the Gold Dot Short Barrel .357 load. This happens to be the round I carry in my S&W 340 M&P snub. The same round in .38 special was pretty disappointing with no expansion. Seems like a wadcutter or semi wadcutter would do just as well in .38 special. Also some interesting results in 22 LR. Some would say it has no use as a self defense round.

https://www.activeresponsetraining....VBy-Y6TAE9uor_ItYSThgzExtYDv2WUN6hj9PveOm7x0U

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One could also say that 2 inch snubs suck as defense tools given the results (eventhough a majority of the rounds succeeded in meeting minimum performance depths).

Still not willing to get zapped by one, and don't know of anyone else who is. So carry on, because a lousy bullet can still turn out your lights, and a great one can make you wish it had.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yep, I’ve never known anyone with a full sized gun wish they had a snub instead if they had to defend themselves. I’m sure there are a lot of people who wished they had a gun when they didn’t. I carry a j frame all the time and a larger gun sometimes. Drilling 5 38 (actually .357) sized holes sure beats a sharp stick.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gel tests have proved that the snubbies have been hit and miss on expansion for as long as YouTube has been airing gel tests.

I ditched the +P myself many years ago after watching a bunch of failures. My S&W 637 carry load has been the standard pressure Hornady Critical Defense...mostly because it still penetrates deep enough, and the nose may still cut just a little.

When I carry it, I fully realize that I am trading lethality for portability/concealment.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The hornady ftx critical defense 110 gr is one of the few that seem to open in all the tests, in a snubby. Luckygunner.com as well as lots of other places, has gel test results.. this load only expands to .48” or so, and penetrates enough, but this beats wadcutter performance, if you can find a box or two of it..

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some interesting results of ammo fired from snub revolvers at this year’s revolver round up by the guys at Active Response. . Almost none of them expanded so the general conclusion is just carry a round that gives adequate penetration and minimize recoil from +P and other JHP ammo in a snub. The one exception I saw was the Gold Dot Short Barrel .357 load. This happens to be the round I carry in my S&W 340 M&P snub. The same round in .38 special was pretty disappointing with no expansion. Seems like a wadcutter or semi wadcutter would do just as well in .38 special. Also some interesting results in 22 LR. Some would say it has no use as a self defense round.

https://www.activeresponsetraining....VBy-Y6TAE9uor_ItYSThgzExtYDv2WUN6hj9PveOm7x0U
I carry the exact same gun and rounds but you my friend take pocket carry to a whole new level...

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gel tests have proved that the snubbies have been hit and miss on expansion for as long as YouTube has been airing gel tests.

I ditched the +P myself many years ago after watching a bunch of failures. My S&W 637 carry load has been the standard pressure Hornady Critical Defense...mostly because it still penetrates deep enough, and the nose may still cut just a little.

When I carry it, I fully realize that I am trading lethality for portability/concealment.

This.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The hornady ftx critical defense 110 gr is one of the few that seem to open in all the tests, in a snubby. Luckygunner.com as well as lots of other places, has gel test results.. this load only expands to .48” or so, and penetrates enough, but this beats wadcutter performance, if you can find a box or two of it..
Not in this test it didn’t. Penetrated just over 14 inches with 0 expansion from a 2 inch Ruger LCR. Also yawed at 8 inches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom