"Ride the Ducks" - Terrible Accident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Duck boat capsizes on Missouri lake; multiple casualties reported
Missouri dive teams continued a desperate effort Friday morning to find six people who disappeared into a Branson-area lake hours earlier when fierce winds capsized a packed tourist "duck boat," killing at least 11 and leaving several others in critical condition.

Some of the dead were children, officials said.

At least seven people -- four adults and three children -- were hospitalized after the tragedy on Table Rock Lake, said Brandei Clifton, a spokeswoman for the Cox Medical Center Branson. Two adults were in critical condition and others were being treated for minor injuries, officials said.

The Southern Stone County Fire Department said multiple agencies responded to the “mass casualty incident” involving a “tourist type boat” at around 7:12 p.m. Central time. Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader said 31 people were aboard the "Ride the Ducks" boat when wind gusts upwards of 60 mph caused huge waves to slam into the vessel, capsizing it, FOX4 reported.

An off-duty sheriff's deputy who was on the boat at the time immediately stepped into action, helping save several people who'd been thrown overboard, Rader said.

Multiple dive teams from different law enforcement agencies were assisting in rescue and recovery efforts that were paused late in the evening and were due to resume in the morning, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported, citing Rader. By 6:30 a.m. Central time, the search had not yet resumed.

National Weather Service meteorologist Steve Linderberg said a top wind speed of 63 mph was measured around 7 p.m. Thursday at Branson Airport, and the winds were likely stronger over the lake. Videos from the scene showed choppy, violent waves rolling through the water.

"There's nothing to slow down winds in an open area," Linderberg said.

According to investigators, the boat sank into the lake where it remains, WGN9 reported.

Very sad to hear about this horrible accident - prayers for all those involved and the first responders who are assisting.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson tweeted his prayers for “all those involved.”

The "Ride the Ducks" website says the excursion is a "70-minute guided amphibious tour that takes guests through the scenic Ozarks on both land and water."

"We are deeply saddened by the tragic accident that occurred this evening at Ride The Ducks Branson..." a spokeswoman said in a statement to the media. "This incident has deeply affected all of us."

Duck boats, known for their ability to travel on land and in water, have been involved in other deadly incidents in the past. Five college students were killed when a boat collided with a bus in Seattle in 2015, and 13 people died after a boat sank near Hot Springs, Arkansas in 1999.

Since 1999, 37 people have been killed in duck boat accidents, with 24 of those coming just from the Hot Springs accident and Thursday night's disaster.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/2...ssouri-lake-multiple-casualties-reported.html

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saw that... how terrible. You go out on a boat ride with your family - the famous duck boats - and it turns into tragedy. Man, how horrible.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to wonder why they continued the tour with a known severe storm in the area; one resident mentioned that everyone knew the storm was coming, and the boat capsized 30 minutes after a severe thunderstorm warning was issued for the Branson area, according to one news report I just read. Surprised life jackets weren't mandatory with the way insurance policies work these days. Sad deal.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I, along with our two adult children & their families, have planned a Branson excursion soon and the "Ride the Ducks" was on our list of things to do. I believe we'll have to change that now as the kids are ages 6, 5, and 2. I really wonder if the NTSB and Coast Guard will allow them to continue to operate.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Root cause analysis will probably show negligence on the part of the operator by failing to take action on the warnings they and everyone else were alerted to. Even a mass warning on cell phones! Further, the window design worked as a trap. I'm sure we'll hear the words death trap used over and over and it's pretty spot on.

I'm guessing no insurer will touch them going forward.

You can tout a 40 year perfect record but when you kill this many people in one shot it'd probably be best to shut the F up!

Sad deal for sure.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have been on the Duck tour twice years ago. I thought life jackets were required but can't remember. Back then there were no plastic windows as I recall.
Prayers to all the families.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom