"Ride the Ducks" - Terrible Accident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can well imagine that people complain about wearing life jackets and the operators evenetually stop trying to enforce the wearing of them.
We have Coast Guard folks stationed in our area. It would be good to hear from them on this....

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, one of my daughters went on a trip to Branson with our neighbors just a couple weeks ago. I know the rode the ducks cuz she brought home a very annoying whistle/quack thing that my 3yo loves to use in the house. Lol

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many tens of thousands of people have ridden the Duks without any problems? I rode them as a kid probably 35 years ago.

Accident's happen, sorry for the loss of life, but I bet their accident record is up there with airlines.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can well imagine that people complain about wearing life jackets and the operators evenetually stop trying to enforce the wearing of them.
We have Coast Guard folks stationed in our area. It would be good to hear from them on this....

I can understand not requiring the wearing of life jackets while having quick access to them , but the taking the ducks out when there was a known weather situation is beyond baffling. That's the part I don't understand.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time on that lake over the past 35 years. Storms can sneak up on you due to the terrain....but with modern technology this storm should not have been a surprise. That boat should have never been on the water.

Boats must have a life jacket (easily accessible) for everyone on board. In oklahoma, kids under 13 must wear a jacket at all times. Missouri law is a younger age. On board a commercial boat like a duck may be different on the must wear law.

The news reported 3' waves which is very inaccurate. The cell phone video I saw had the entire duck between swells with water splashing over the roof. I woud guess 5'. That part of the lake is wide open and several miles from the north shoreline. The driver had to have been making calls for help. You could see he was going down for a few minutes . He struggled to move and was sitting very low in the water a long time before sinking. At one point there is a large stern drive boat try to approach the duck....he had to turn around. In the same video it appears that a Water patrol boat was also struggling to make headway. Water patrol on The Rock run 29' Donzi boats with twin 250 Mercs. Those boats are built to opperate in that kind of water and it was a struggle.

My prayers go out to the families. A day of fun ruined lifetimes for many.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@caojyn You are a HOOT! You need to see a psychiatrist and then post up his eval! That would be an interesting read, I'm sure! :rotflmao:
Lol I don’t know about that, might be shooting myself in the foot with that one.

I will say, I was not appreciated by my sociology of death and dying professor whilst in college

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom