"Ride the Ducks" - Terrible Accident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's hard to tell with some of the video, but I think access to the Duck is via a door in the rear of the cabin. If so, I think the operator would have had to have cut power to the engine so that those trying to escape wouldn't be cut by the prop(s). As for going out the windows, it looks like there could be four people in seats for almost every window, making a panic exit via the windows a crowded mess.
The prop is in the rear 1/3 of the Ducks totally under the hull. It wouldn't have interfeared with the evacuation out the back.

I agree with Deerwhacker444 in that some of the comments in this thread are totally uncalled for and extremely insensitive.
Family's have lost family members, including one family losing 9.
I'd think the frivolity would be reserved for issues not this grevious of nature.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lol
tenor.gif

Gotcha;)

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Missouri water patrol report show none of the fatalities were wearing a life jacket. Can't figure that one out.....boat taking on water in a storm.....im putting a vest on my kids pronto....then following suite.
I watched a special on this today, and the way the Duck was built with the side windows, anyone wearing a life jacket would have likely been trapped by the windows or the the roof and not able to get out anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be....but I'm still putting one on.

Seems like a major design flaw/oversight. One would think a float off/detachable roof would make sense.

You absolutely nailed it. The roof should be a float off.
In today’s news paper, an independent inspector reviewed the Ducks last year. In his report he called the roof design a “people trap”, and that’s exactly what happened.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read on Yahoo News that the engine quit which is understandable. Going through water such as that i would be grabbing a life preserver and head toward the nearest exit but I expect those on the vessel were petrified with fear. They have to pull that heavy craft up from an eighty foot depth most likely for an investigation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read on Yahoo News that the engine quit which is understandable. Going through water such as that i would be grabbing a life preserver and head toward the nearest exit but I expect those on the vessel were petrified with fear. They have to pull that heavy craft up from an eighty foot depth most likely for an investigation.
The same inspector according to the news today said they were not seaworthy last year because of the possibility that water could enter the exhaust system, locking up the engine which in turn would disable the bilge pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom