Riding Mower or Zero Turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ZT for a 1/2 acre? lol I get the time is valuable deal... I really do. How about just paying someone?

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ZT for a 1/2 acre? lol I get the time is valuable deal... I really do. How about just paying someone?
I agree its probably over kill but i'm just doing as much research as possible. I'm personally leaning towards a decent rider and calling it good. Its mostly backyard, nothing to mow around but a kids swing set and probably a shed in the future.

I can't justify paying someone to mow my lawn. I'll likely push mow it either way this first summer just to see how bad it is and see if its worth the extra expense.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My yard is flat as can be also so the slope part isn't a big deal. I think I want a zero turn but don't want to spend the money on when I can get a rider for so much less money.

I was having the same conundrum myself. I went ZTR because I have some stuff to mow around. And I was simply buying one exclusively for time savings. I only have a residential lot, but the back yard is fairly big, the wife has always wanted a pool. I'd rather mow than deal with a pool. My Honda was fine, it just got to where I thought I would rather spend my time doing something else. If I had it to do over again I'd still have a hard time choosing. If you have trees, planters and such ZTR all the way. I just bought the Toro residential 42" because it was actually $100 cheaper than the 36", that went towards the mulch kit because bagging grass is silly.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not a bad point. When you consider the cost of a new mower, maintenance and your time, you might break even on it. It's definitely something to consider.

My BIL lives near downtown OKC. He put artificial turf in his backyard. He has about a 15'x60' strip to mow in his front yard. He keeps a mower, edger, trimmer and blower for that. He could sell his equipment for 2 yrs worth of mowing and have all the space back in his garage.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm mowing roughly 5 acres, that I break into 4 'chunks'. The largest chunk is 2+ acres, and takes about 90 minutes on a ZTR. It is very rough, so I keep the speed down.
When I had 2 riding mowers, it took about 2 hours, running both mowers at once - SWMBO running one, and myself on the other.

With a 1/2 acre of, I would get a walk-behind mower. If I had to get a rider, I'd find a used one for $300 and run it until the wheels fell off.

If I had a city lot, I'd get a plug-in electric mower, and revel in the lack of maintenance.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2.5 acres. Went with a lawn tractor for the utility of it. I can tow a trailer, sprayer, run a small drag and just do a bunch of other stuff besides just mow with it.

I mow around trees just fine, cut fast, and spent half what I would've spent on a ZT. Used that money for a dump trailer, sprayer etc...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree its probably over kill but i'm just doing as much research as possible. I'm personally leaning towards a decent rider and calling it good. Its mostly backyard, nothing to mow around but a kids swing set and probably a shed in the future.

I can't justify paying someone to mow my lawn. I'll likely push mow it either way this first summer just to see how bad it is and see if its worth the extra expense.

I get it, I'm stubborn in the same way, but I'm not sure next year I'll have a choice in terms of time, so I'll have to pay someone most likely.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would never have anything but a ZTR, I mow a lot more than you have but when I downsize I'll either pay somebody or still have a ZTR. I have 2 of them now, both Gravely. 48" and 66"

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have about 1/2 of grass with quite a bit to mow around. I had a tractor type and then went with a ZTR. The ZTR is a lot faster and less tiring. Of course I am also getting older and have some shoulder problems. I find the ZTR is easier on the shoulders, with a tractor I would have to have poweer steering to make it as easy one the shoulders. I would not go back to a tractor type again, unless you needed other things like a blade, or something similar that you could not get for a ZTR. I did add a hitch on the back of the ZTR for pulling a cart and spreader.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would pay someone to do it.

If you go the ZTR, buy a low hour commercial model. I did this in 2006 and it has never given me any trouble, zero, nada. If we move to town, I am giving my Exmark to my son who maintains five acres.

Latest posts

Top Bottom