Riding Mower or Zero Turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the residential grade tractors have the same hydrostatic drive of the residential ZTRs, so they really won't pull anything bigger. Unless you get into full commercial it's pretty easy to smoke them by overworking them.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Toro commercial for my double lot home property. It's about an acre total but a lot of it is taken up by house and pool and driveway. I love the speed though. I can mow it twice, different directions, for a super clean look in less than 30 min. I can't imagine going back to a tractor.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of the residential grade tractors have the same hydrostatic drive of the residential ZTRs, so they really won't pull anything bigger. Unless you get into full commercial it's pretty easy to smoke them by overworking them.

For me it's not about pulling "bigger" but pulling easier and having a hand free if I need it for a spray wand, throwing a lever on the spreader etc....A ZTR is good for mowing and that's it.

Money is a real factor too. For $2k I got a sturdy, versatile lawn tractor. Can't touch a quality ZTR for that kinda dough.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it's not about pulling "bigger" but pulling easier and having a hand free if I need it for a spray wand, throwing a lever on the spreader etc....A ZTR is good for mowing and that's it.

Money is a real factor too. For $2k I got a sturdy, versatile lawn tractor. Can't touch a quality ZTR for that kinda dough.

I get that but a lot of folks don't realize that the transmissions are generally the weak link. Even not towing you can get them really hot just mowing more than they are rated for or going up grades. And I almost did go with a tractor for the very reason you stated, but I hope to get out of town and I can take the ZTR with me. It'll likely be too little but it'll get me by until I get a better suited one.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the toro commercial z master 60". I have 10 acres, with lots of trees. I maintain about 6 acres of it. We keep 2 horses on the other 4. If it weren't for that mower, I would just give up. No way I could manage with a regular lawn tractor. If I need to do something other than mow, I use the tractor or the ranger. I have a brush hog and 72" finish mower for the tractor. The toro would still cut the pasture in way less time if it wasn't so rough.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also consider there are a few walk behind self propelled push mowers up to 30-34" cut, residential or commercial, or walk behind ZTR type mowers too, some accept an optional sulky to stand on and ride.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've already got a nice walk behind self propelled with a 23'' deck on it. Its a beast of a mower. Based on all the responses, looks like it really comes down to personal preference. I think i'm gonna just have to see how it goes pushing it this year and go from there. Lord knows I need the exercise!

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 acre lawn here and mow with a Cub Cadet 42" ZTR with steering wheel. I added a necker knob (if any of you know what that is) and it makes one hand mowing easy. In 6 years of use I've had to replace both blade spindles but no other trouble with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom