Rifle bedding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A proper pillar/glass bedded Remington should be torqued to 65 inch pounds...

The bottom of the recoil lug should NOT be bedded...

With a factory tapered barrel, 1-2 inches of the barrel should be bedded in front of the recoil lug. If your barrel is sporter weight, it may shoot best with a pressure point on the last inch of forend, in the barrel channel. Their varmint weight barrels generally shoot best when full floated, but generally still need bedded just in front of the recoil lug....

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A proper pillar/glass bedded Remington should be torqued to 65 inch pounds...

The bottom of the recoil lug should NOT be bedded...

With a factory tapered barrel, 1-2 inches of the barrel should be bedded in front of the recoil lug. If your barrel is sporter weight, it may shoot best with a pressure point on the last inch of forend, in the barrel channel. Their varmint weight barrels generally shoot best when full floated, but generally still need bedded just in front of the recoil lug....
It's the Varmint/Bull barrel

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifling has cuts and scratches in it, he wouldn't even shoot it it was THAT bad

I would too but I don't have the 600-750 for the blank and to have Steve work his magic.

Cuts in the rifling
I wasn't doubting you, I was just curious. Knowledge is worth a bunch and now, I know just a little bit more.

Hey if Remi rebarrels it for free and it shoots better, awesome. Keep it and down the road, you still have one of the best factory actions for a custom barrel job. Yee yee!

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't doubting you, I was just curious. Knowledge is worth a bunch and now, I know just a little bit more.

Hey if Remi rebarrels it for free and it shoots better, awesome. Keep it and down the road, you still have one of the best factory actions for a custom barrel job. Yee yee!
It's my understanding it's going to get re barreled for free, if its not free then it better go to Rems Custom Shop.

Yea but I've never heard of a gunsmith not shooting a gun because the rifling is that bad haha.
And i might get a full flown custom barrel for this Christmas or my 24th birthday hahaj

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question on bedding if its ok??? Looking at purchasing early gen. TC model 87 from the 80-90s. Being a break over with the fore hand wood up front separate from the stock does one bed any of the area around the pillar where the screw holds it on? I read an article on the rifle that gave specific screw torque and emphasized that the shooter should hold the fore stock behind the screw. I was thinking bedding some behind the screw area might help. Oh this is a beautiful 6.5x55 barreled gun that is VERY hard to find in that caliber.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I called today, they put a barrel on, checked headspacing and did test firing, should be in the mail soon...I hope.
I also asked them to include the dimensions of the chamber so I can reload for it better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom