Rifle question, If I could only buy one, opinions please....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking of things and here in Oklahoma wind can gust 80mph and constant light 5-20 is what I deal
with during deer gun season..Those light pills will get wind drift much easier than a heavy pill.
Where I hunt I get swirling winds..so not just a 15 mph breeze from one direction ..

Something to think about when taking long shots if you plan on long shots.

I stepped off the spot I have an opportunity to kill deer and coyotes at on WMA land and it is 700 yards and the same WMA there are spots 2x that length.

Not that I shoot that far.. But I will take 300 and 400 yard stuff.

You must decide at what range you will be killing stuff.
Just how accurate are you and your gun.

I have recently shot my 243 30-06 and .308 at 300 yards..The .308 from cold bore to the last shot won the shoot out. but it is a fat barrel savage vs skinny barrel Mossberg's.
That is about 1/2 the distance I would like to shoot at. :)

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked my remington 3006 for the trigger recall. It is not listed as needing a new trigger. Then started researching timney replacement triggers. HELP. There are so many listed and so many prices. Can anyone tell me what a good, decent replacement trigger would be? I bought my rifle used 25 years ago. It's probably 30 to 35 years old but is still in great condition.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take it you do not like the current trigger.
That is the way I was on my triggers for a few of my guns.
I took them out and studied the workings then modified them..I have some excellent feeling tweaked factory triggers now.

The Mossberg 100atr in .243 I tweaked and made adjustable..then the same second I did it Mossberg came out with the LBA trigger.
It is modified the same way I did mine..Funny how that works sometimes.

The way I look at it you are going to replace the current one and probably stick it in a drawer to collect dust for 30 years.
Well if that is the case you might as well get out the fine files and fine sandpaper and tweak the stock one,,, nothing to loose doing it.

Sorry I can't answer your question on what a decent replacement trigger is though.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you should say that, I spoke with several hunters in Colorado this year that hunted Elk with a .243.

It's regulations, not ballistics, that prohibit anything smaller than a .270 in the Wichita Mtns managed elk hunts in Oklahoma. Their special rules must be followed on the managed hunt, like only carrying 5 cartridges, and .270 minimum caliber.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That I did not know. Kind of neat to know though..So .270 caliber minimum.
The 30-30 or 7.62x39 would meet this correct? or 357 magnum .Just saying some silly rules but made with good intentions.

Like racing--- No weight jacks allowed.. but door bar needs to be a minimum of 1/8" thick on driver side.
My uncle welded in some rail road ribbon for door bars on driver side.. It passed inspection for that year.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
25-06 for the win perfect Oklahoma rifle coyote and deer killer.

While I agree with this a different idea that fits the OPs need may be a levergun in .44 magnum. It would be capable of killing deer at 200 yards and .44 special ammo could be used for plinking.

Maybe even a Ruger bolt gun in .44 or .357.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I agree with this a different idea that fits the OPs need may be a levergun in .44 magnum. It would be capable of killing deer at 200 yards and .44 special ammo could be used for plinking.

Maybe even a Ruger bolt gun in .44 or .357.

While I don't necessarily disagree here I think the OP would be better served to purchase something more versatile. A rifle well suited for close range/timber use with a trajectory of a rainbow is just that, nothing more. One day he may have a chance to hunt somewhere other than SE Okla where an extended range platform would be well suited. The same platform would be well suited for close range/timber too. Personally I don't see having one rifle for close range/timber and one for longer range; the cost is too much in steel and glass. Buy once/cry once.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been researching things going to rebarrel a savage. I am looking hard at the 6.5 swede proven hunting round, decent long range shooter in 6.5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom