Rifle recommendations for my kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstott

New to the site!
Reaction score
My 16 year-old daughter is a dead shot and loves to go hunting with me. My 13 year old son wants to start hunting with me. So I am seriously looking to get an additional hunting rifle. I want something that kicks less than my 30-06 so the kids can use it easier. I was thinking 30-30 or possibly .308. Any suggestions for what might be best for my teenagers?

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I vote 243. I have a little Remington Model 7 in 243 that my wife, son and myself can all use. I reload so I can control what little recoil there is and I've found that the 85 grain Sierra Game King is quite deadly on deer out to 300 yards, or the longest shots we've taken.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
308 is still a little rough for kids. And depending on the kids, the 243 can be a little intimidating. What are you hunting? My girl uses a 300 Blackout until she decides she can handle more. But honestly, I hunted with the Blackout this year too.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
welcome aboard bstott. i put a vote in for 243 also. my wife and daughter both shoot 243's. however, if you can avoid the youth models, you will save some money later by not having to put full size stocks on.
i think mossberg has the stock that you can add spacers as needed though.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll tack on with the .243. However, unlike dlbleak, I would say get whichever model the stock fits better on.

My .243 went from mild recoil with one stock, to me checking if I'd had a squib load after I'd installed a better fitting stock with good recoil pad.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off are your children recoil sensitive? Sometimes you may find they are noise sensitive and using ear plugs and muffs really help. What is your daughter a dead shot with? When my son was 13 he was shooting my 300wsm so every child is different with regards to recoil/noise.

Do you reload? If you do you may be able to purchase more gun so to speak and reduce a load to fit your kids and later on increase the load as their shooting becomes more proficient.

What do they plan on hunting? Deer, hogs, fall turkey, antelope, elk.

How long will it take them to run through 1,500-2,000 rounds? The reason I ask is, the 243 is an over bore round and has a shorter barrel life. Although minute of deer accuracy will go well beyond 2,000 rounds.

Any short action chambered in 6.5mm would be a happy medium between a 243/308/7-08. With bullet weights from the 120s-140s, even 160 (for the 260 Rem) it's a light to mild recoiling round that your children will grow into and will easily take deer out at longer range without beating you up.

It's basically impossible to recommend the perfect chambering. There will be great ideas based only on recoil but your children may overcome any recoil sensitivity after a few months of shooting.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suggest .223. They'll practice more with it because of the light recoil and cheap ammo, which will make them more effective shooters and hunters. If they take it seriously, and learn to trust the recoil, then move them to the .243 or something with more power.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my grandson's youth model Remington 700, 243. it has a Battlelink Minimalist stock, VTAC style sling, tactical bolt knob, Timney Trigger, steel Warne scope mounts and rings, and a Leupold VXII scope, sitting in a MDT LSS chassis system.
Resized952017011795180615.jpg
2015101595113443.jpg

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22-250 bolt gun or 6.5 grendel AR-15.

223 is a great deer cartridge - but distance, bullet and placement sensitive - and I would not recommend for the first hunt. The two above give more room for error with very little recoil increase.

Latest posts

Top Bottom