Rifle recommendations for my kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

bstott

New to the site!
Reaction score
First off are your children recoil sensitive? Sometimes you may find they are noise sensitive and using ear plugs and muffs really help. What is your daughter a dead shot with? When my son was 13 he was shooting my 300wsm so every child is different with regards to recoil/noise.

Do you reload? If you do you may be able to purchase more gun so to speak and reduce a load to fit your kids and later on increase the load as their shooting becomes more proficient.

What do they plan on hunting? Deer, hogs, fall turkey, antelope, elk.

How long will it take them to run through 1,500-2,000 rounds? The reason I ask is, the 243 is an over bore round and has a shorter barrel life. Although minute of deer accuracy will go well beyond 2,000 rounds.

Any short action chambered in 6.5mm would be a happy medium between a 243/308/7-08. With bullet weights from the 120s-140s, even 160 (for the 260 Rem) it's a light to mild recoiling round that your children will grow into and will easily take deer out at longer range without beating you up.

It's basically impossible to recommend the perfect chambering. There will be great ideas based only on recoil but your children may overcome any recoil sensitivity after a few months of shooting.
My daughter shoots very well with my 30-06. We hunt mainly deer and hogs.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.62 x 39 using good brass/boxer primed ammo, in an AR15 platform, i have two that put bullets in bullet holes with an ARP barrel. Or better yet, same Ar15 platform, 6.8 spcII using an adjustable gas block, no recoil at all - just a slight push back, great hog rifles and white tail as well from all reports.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may check out the Weatherby Camilla. It seems to be advertised more toward women with a shorter lop. He may outgrow it pretty quick but it comes in .243, 6.5 creedmore, .308, and 7mm-08. I've never held one but they look to be pretty nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom