Rifle scope question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting my .270 earlier with a 4x12x50 vortex crossfire scope I was shooting at 100 yards on 12 power I got it where I wanted and turned it down to 6 power and it shot an 1 1/2 lower this isn’t normal is it?

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not normal. Before you blame your scope, make sure that you keep the exact same cheek mount on the stock for all possible magnification settings. If you cannot do this and see the target AND the reticle clearly for all, then your scope is either too far back or forward in the rings.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some scopes due to defect or scope quality (cheep scopes) change point of aim (POA) when adjusting the magnification. You would need to lock the scope/rifle down in a shooting vise and check POA while turning the magnification ring. You could also check it using a bore sighting devise called a collimator. You might check with Cabela's or Bass Pro to see if they could check it for you if they use collimators to bore sight scopes. Also, don't neglect the possibility of shooter error.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thoughts above. Did you shoot a group 1 1/2" low or did you just figure something was jacked up after one shot?

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thoughts above. Did you shoot a group 1 1/2" low or did you just figure something was jacked up after one shot?
I shot one more instead of a few which is what I got to thinking about when I got home I ran out of time the grandson was wanting to go sit in his bow hunting spot but I’m going back probably Sunday I have run into this before but just thought it was because it was a cheap scope in the past

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not normal. Before you blame your scope, make sure that you keep the exact same cheek mount on the stock for all possible magnification settings. If you cannot do this and see the target AND the reticle clearly for all, then your scope is either too far back or forward in the rings.
It’s in the right spot and same spot on the stock

Latest posts

Top Bottom