Rifle scope question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok I’m going to ask a stupid question what is first or second focal plane?
Not a stupid question at all. This is from American Hunter:

A riflescope’s reticle is placed in either the first focal plane (FFP) or the second focal plane (SFP). The main difference between them is that an SFP reticle will appear to be the same size regardless of magnification. With an FFP reticle, the size of the reticle will appear to change as the scope’s magnification is changed.

Most American hunters are familiar with SFP, as that style has been the most common in American hunting scopes for generations. The FFP reticle has become very popular with long-range shooters, and as we are adopting their techniques, this reticle is gaining favor with hunters wishing to shoot at long range.

With an SFP reticle, the spacing for holdover in the reticle is only correct at one magnification, usually the highest setting. If the scope’s magnification is set lower, the size of the reticle relative to the target changes and the increments of the spacing will change. You can use a mathematical formula to figure out the spacing for each of the power settings, but it becomes complicated and confusing and is no good for hunting.

If you do all your long-range shooting only at the highest magnification, this is not an issue and an SFP scope will work fine. One advantage is that you have a strong and easy-to-see reticle even at the lowest magnification.

An FFP reticle appears to grow larger or smaller as the scope’s magnification is increased or decreased, respectively. In reality, the reticle maintains the same perspective with the target size throughout the magnification range. That means the holdover points remain the same throughout the range of magnification. For example, the 6 MOA line is at 6 MOA on the lowest setting, the highest setting and everything in between.

The downside of an FFP reticle is it appears small and thin at low power and gets thicker at high power, so it can be hard to see at the low settings and can cover too much target at the highest setting. For hunters, the low-magnification setting is often just as important as the high-magnification setting, so make sure you look at the reticle at all power settings before buying an FFP scope. Some have illuminated reticles, which help at low power.

If you use the dial-up technique for long-range shooting both reticles will work just fine as the dial adjustments are not affected by the type of reticle.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1.5" at 100 could have just been that 1 bullet. More testing is needed.
Now if this is a target grade gun that prints 1/4" or 1/2" at 100 yards like clock work then I may worry.
If it shoots 1.5" at 100 then No worries. just need to do more shooting before you come to a solid conclusion.
I am talking 5 shot groups or more not the hero 3 shot group stuff.

Factory ammo?
I am lucky to get a box that will keep all in a 2" group at 100.. in fact the last store ammo I bought with my own money shot 8" at 100 yards.. yes Eight inch group.
In a gun that shot no more than 1.5" and normally shot 3/4" for 3 shots.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1.5" at 100 could have just been that 1 bullet. More testing is needed.
Now if this is a target grade gun that prints 1/4" or 1/2" at 100 yards like clock work then I may worry.
If it shoots 1.5" at 100 then No worries. just need to do more shooting before you come to a solid conclusion.
I am talking 5 shot groups or more not the hero 3 shot group stuff.

Factory ammo?
I am lucky to get a box that will keep all in a 2" group at 100.. in fact the last store ammo I bought with my own money shot 8" at 100 yards.. yes Eight inch group.
In a gun that shot no more than 1.5" and normally shot 3/4" for 3 shots.
They are my reloads it has a sportster barrel and anything over 3 shots they start walking cause it heats up

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloads are better as long as they are accurate.
Maybe just a flier.. but again maybe it is the scope.
None of my scopes do that I have set them up solid and checked that while shooting.

You could do it at home also easy enough to set it up solid and check it like was stated in another post.
It would suck if it does that but I bet the manufacturer would stand behind it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom