Rifle scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifle is a .270 Win with a 24” barrel, purpose is generally reaching farther or putting more assets on target than I’m able to with a 5.56 AR, which is about 300 yards. I’m having a bit of trouble deciding between a medium power scope like a 2-10 or 3-12, or doing something with more magnification like 4-16 or a 3-15. I do know that I want one of those Christmas tree style reticles like the Vortex EBR or the Leupold CCH. I prefer MOA over mils and want the knobs and reticle to match. Budget is anything under $1000 out the door. I recall being able to shoot just fine at 500 yards with iron sights, which only became easier after being allowed to use a 4 power ACOG. So I know that I likely wouldn’t use the upper end of the magnification range on something that went all the way to 16 or 18 power very often. Is it worth the weight penalty? What say you gentlemen and ladies?

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends how precise you need to be. You can stay on a man-size torso at 1000 yards all day with 10x. If you want to make humane kills on game at extended ranges, you might want a little more magnification. My walking around hunting rifles wear glass that tops out at 7x or 9x but I'm only comfortable to about 350 yards on deer. My heavy .308 which is good for setting up in one place on a bipod and covering a large area wears 15x; I can reach a bit further with that.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Votex EBR 4x16x44 is a nice scope. Just installed one on AR10 in 308 win and my bolt gun same caliber. Both are MRAD on First Focal Plane which takes some getting use to but once I learned them shots out to 600 yds ( farthest shooting distance I can get safely) are no problem. These are my first MRAD scopes but after time and patience learning I do not plan to go back to MOA.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends how precise you need to be. You can stay on a man-size torso at 1000 yards all day with 10x. If you want to make humane kills on game at extended ranges, you might want a little more magnification. My walking around hunting rifles wear glass that tops out at 7x or 9x but I'm only comfortable to about 350 yards on deer. My heavy .308 which is good for setting up in one place on a bipod and covering a large area wears 15x; I can reach a bit further with that.

Thank you both so much for the quick replies, and I think I’m gonna stick around the 10-12x mark for the upper end of the mag range. I definitely want this to be a portable rifle, and not a “sit in one place on bipods” type.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm a nikon fan. Used them from the late 70's and current rifle (ruger #1 30/06) is wearing a nikon 30 mm tube, 50mm objective and 2.5 x 10 power. Most of my wheat field shots are rarely beyond 250 to 300 yds. Longest shot was ranged just shy of 400. Scope is crystal clear and I've never (fingers crossed) had any of the 7 or so that I have on rifles have moved zero except when dropped or rolled on.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a nikon fan. Used them from the late 70's and current rifle (ruger #1 30/06) is wearing a nikon 30 mm tube, 50mm objective and 2.5 x 10 power. Most of my wheat field shots are rarely beyond 250 to 300 yds. Longest shot was ranged just shy of 400. Scope is crystal clear and I've never (fingers crossed) had any of the 7 or so that I have on rifles have moved zero except when dropped or rolled on.

I’ve had a couple nikons before, never got any of their pricier ones. With this purchase I figured since they completely got out of riflescopes I should stay away.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel that the mission will dictate the equipment. What are you going to use the rifle for? My 22LR/17HMR squirrel gun typically gets used at 5-9x magnification. But going up to 14x is great when I’m trying to spot that little critter hiding on a branch 100-200yds off. I have a vortex strike eagle 6-24x56 on one of my 308s, it gets used at 12-15x a lot but the 24x comes in super handy. Has one of those Christmas tree reticles you mentioned wanting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom