Rimfire balloon match at Wilshire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a match designed for those that have never competed in a match before with a spouse or friend so you have somebody to shoot with a
Tiny handicap that one firearm must be iron sights.
When I shoot matches in OKC, I get selected as a squad mom most of the time, and there is always a person off to the side by themselves that is there for the first time and really wants shoot but is afraid of holding up their hand when asking for more squad members. Most folks don't want to just show up by themselves.
The Wilshire match is there to introduce them to a light/fun version of competition with a friend or spouse.
Once they have seen the basics, they can progress to Steel Challenge, and then USPSA or IPSC as their local ranges put on.
Last Saturday during the steel challenge match at OKCGC I was again the squad mom and at the end talked to the three newbs individually that shot on our squad with positive comments and their final scores reflected it.
At the onset they got a meeting with all of the new shooters about range rules, and match rules.
When on the squad, we put them at the end of the rotation and kept them there so they could see how others shot the stages before getting up there and coached them when seeing their training needs.
Having two other members on the squad that are typically in the top 5 of the rankings got them some really good advice. They certainly improved their times and scores as they went from stage one to stage 6.
So, that being said, even if your the only person wanting to get into competition shooting for a hobby or a one time deal to see what it's all about, don't be shy. Step in there and it's much easier than you can imagine to get started. I've never seen any knuckle dragger types in Steel or USPSA that I've shot at anyway.
Everybody is prone to loan gear or advice to the new shooters so they can get through the matches and learn. I left my magazines at home one time and that scoundrel Ignored Member loaned me enough mags to shoot. Can't remember if I whupped him that day or not. Probably not.
If you want to get into competition shooting and don't want to post in this thread, just PM me, and we will do it privately. I fully understand how some don't want to appear uninformed publicly and will do my best to do it privately until you're comfortable enough to attend a match.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep telling myself that I'm going to shoot a steel challenge one of these days. Just got a mag & owb holster. Hopefully soon! Would be honored to be on your squad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom