Rimfire Can Selection Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I first read that it sounded like you were calling me an idiot for my can choice. After rereading it I realize you may not have been. I apologize if that is the case. Its been a long day.
I didn't intend it that way, sorry it came across that way. Folks that are not familiar with cans may not realize the size difference of centerfire and rimfire cans. I would suggest all first timers go to a dealer that stocks some to get am idea in person.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't seen a .22 can that doesn't come apart for cleaning.
Some come apart easier than others. Some use special wrenches, some use standard wrenches, some are just knurled and a pain to dissasemble, so do your research.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After all my research,

I like the CGS Tundra SS, Griffin Checkamte QD & Silencerco Sparrow

The Sparrow is a bomb proof can (I have one), but it does have a lot of first round pop (FRP), as monolithic baffle stack cans tend to have. K baffles usually have less FRP, which is why the Silencerco Spectre is still a solid seller. Cleaning a monocore can is easier, but there are tradeoffs. Trying to compare decibel ratings (particularly those produced and published by the manufacturers themselves) isn't as meaningful as you'd think. Things like tone and FRP don't quantify well using average ratings.

FWIW, I use a nasal mister filled with distilled water to reduce FRP on my Sparrow. It tamps down FRP without making a mess like pouring in water or using other ablatives like wire pulling gel or hand sanitizer.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I def. gives a thumbs up to Huntertown Arms. They have some nice cans. All of my cans are form 1 cans, so I can't speak to any commercial stuff, but my buddy has a .30 cal can from Huntertown Arms, and he really likes it. Suppression on his 5.56 AR is good too.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huntertown arms makes a nice stainless .22 can that will handle all the way up to 5.7x28 for $200
It's an enclosed baffle design that takes apart easily without special tools and since it's stainless, the baffles can be dropped in a sonic cleaner or dumped in the brass tumbler.
It was the best bang for buck I found in rimfire cans, so I got one and I'm very happy with it.

Getoffmylawn - is that the one with the "K" baffles? Did you notice any POI shift with that can?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's an enclosed baffle design that takes apart easily without special tools and since it's stainless, the baffles can be dropped in a sonic cleaner or dumped in the brass tumbler.

I got a sonic cleaner for my birthday a few years ago. If you want to borrow it next time it's due for cleaning, let me know.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it's enclosed K baffles.
I move the can back and forth between my rifle and pistol and have never noticed a poi shift.

That's worth every bit of what you paid for it then. K-baffle cans are notorious for having some POI shift. If you can get one with no POI shift, somebody did something right. I recently sold my K cups that I was going to use on my form 1 .300 Blackout can and opted for Ti 60 degree skirtless cones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom