RIP Corvette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They had to do something. The vette is any other fast American car... Mustang, Camaro, Challenger.... Goes real fast as long as it's in a straight line. Toss it on a track, and all that horsepower gets left behind by "lesser" cars that were much better designed. Smaller motors that made more power, suspension meant for non-grid roadways. Wouldn't feel too bad. Lamborghini has also been left in the past. They put emphasis on track cars like Corvette, and consumer models are snipped at the balls before hitting the showroom floor.

This doesn't make much sense. The Corvette (especially the ZR1 and Z06) and the Camaro ZL1, 1LE and the most recent Z/28 were all built for curvy roads/tracks with things like Brembo 6 piston caliper brakes, mag ride suspension, computer controlled rear ends, short ratio gear boxes etc. I agree that the Mustang, Charger and Challenger are more geared toward only going down the drags strip, but GM upped their game in the road course realm in the past several years.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 1962 vette and I think it was the best looking. I
had a 68 vette but it was the stingray design type. Different but
I think the older designs were better looking!

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks to me like they are going after the GT-40 and NSX for the relative, "low end" of the super-car spectrum. Not bad for the class, and a definite move up scale but a Vette? Not so much.

What do they replace it with for the less that 60K crowd? Perhaps those days are gone and that's the message.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This doesn't make much sense. The Corvette (especially the ZR1 and Z06) and the Camaro ZL1, 1LE and the most recent Z/28 were all built for curvy roads/tracks with things like Brembo 6 piston caliper brakes, mag ride suspension, computer controlled rear ends, short ratio gear boxes etc. I agree that the Mustang, Charger and Challenger are more geared toward only going down the drags strip, but GM upped their game in the road course realm in the past several years.

It does make sense... They're still upping the game. It's easy to win in your own class when you define it, it's another to win in a class owned by Europe.

They're not building the new American muscle car Corvette has been since inception. They're building an American production super-car. While they're still stuck on big displacement motors, that'll be the next step for GM. Small displacement, high revving, huge horsepower light weight motors. Ferrari still makes twice the power with half the motor. It'll be interesting to see if GM can lead the US to dominate Europe a third time. Ford did it in the 60's with a crazy 1.6 liters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If It isn't a 54' vette, it ain't a real vette!

https://images.app.goo.gl/NrNWXxFDea75qxKdA

1954_Chevrolet_Corvette_C1_003_4165.jpg

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you remove all traces of the previous generations, it ceases to be that model and is something else. The last redesign removed quite a bit of those previous designs, especially the iconic tail lights. Now there is nothing left of the Corvette line except the name. In my opinion its the exact same thing when Volkswagen brought back the Beatle. Yeah, it had a domed roof and the name, but it wasn't a Beatle. They took what was an economy car for the masses and turned it into a cross between luxury and econobox. It had nothing that the previous Beatle had that made it iconic. So it was simple a Beatle by name only. This new car is only a Corvette by name.

So now the Corvette has been killed off and something else is taking the name.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Kind of hard to justify the Corvette with the way Camaro ZL1 or 1LE is performing IMO. Hell, if I'd rather have a CTSV because it's not far behind in the track numbers from what I saw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom