RIP Corvette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you remove all traces of the previous generations, it ceases to be that model and is something else. The last redesign removed quite a bit of those previous designs, especially the iconic tail lights. Now there is nothing left of the Corvette line except the name. In my opinion its the exact same thing when Volkswagen brought back the Beatle. Yeah, it had a domed roof and the name, but it wasn't a Beatle. They took what was an economy car for the masses and turned it into a cross between luxury and econobox. It had nothing that the previous Beatle had that made it iconic. So it was simple a Beatle by name only. This new car is only a Corvette by name.

So now the Corvette has been killed off and something else is taking the name.

Just curious as to which way you think the platform should go? Just keep going till they hit 1000hp? so you'll have up to a $120K+ V8 RWD that's not really the best drag option, nor the best in the turns.

Don't get me wrong, the latest ones perform beautifully, but where do they go from here?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of hard to justify the Corvette with the way Camaro ZL1 or 1LE is performing IMO. Hell, if I'd rather have a CTSV because it's not far behind in the track numbers from what I saw.

Corvettes aren't for performance... They're for convincing people you, ahem, shoot big bore... if you know what I mean.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever seen a Corvette station wagon?

1954_Chevy_Nomad_-hs2b.jpg

380076_48380913ed7dd2919bee5413234e1614eabf9f09.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever seen a Corvette station wagon?

1954_Chevy_Nomad_-hs2b.jpg

380076_48380913ed7dd2919bee5413234e1614eabf9f09.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg
I was too young to own a real Corvette in 1967 but I did own this AMT model of the Corvette that I built with the optional panel van top and Kammback addition. I can't remember what color I painted the body but the top was flat black to simulate the then-popular vinyl roof style.
AMT-6917-5.jpg

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of hard to justify the Corvette with the way Camaro ZL1 or 1LE is performing IMO. Hell, if I'd rather have a CTSV because it's not far behind in the track numbers from what I saw.

True. That could be why they are going a completely different direction wit the C8 because the ZL1 1LE is performing so well. Can't have the #2 car outperform the company flagship.

Latest posts

Top Bottom