RMR handgun sight help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to get one of my handguns milled and put one of the mini RMR sights on it.

Have looked at the Trijicon version and the SIG Romeo.

Wondering what the overall thoughts were out there.
To me, it looks like the SIG has better overall visibility and maybe better target acquisition. I also like the fact that it is a top load for the battery. BUT, it doesn't appear to have an off switch, so I'm wondering about battery life. My luck is that the battery runs out in the middle of a run!!!

Have heard that 6MOA is better than 3MOA on bright sunny days, but not sure. And don't know how much difference it really makes.

Just wondering if anyone would school me before I make a purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to get one of my handguns milled and put one of the mini RMR sights on it.

Have looked at the Trijicon version and the SIG Romeo.

Wondering what the overall thoughts were out there.
To me, it looks like the SIG has better overall visibility and maybe better target acquisition. I also like the fact that it is a top load for the battery. BUT, it doesn't appear to have an off switch, so I'm wondering about battery life. My luck is that the battery runs out in the middle of a run!!!

Have heard that 6MOA is better than 3MOA on bright sunny days, but not sure. And don't know how much difference it really makes.

Just wondering if anyone would school me before I make a purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Carry or Competition?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some points to consider.
Milling a slide is usually done to a particular optic. I believe the Sig Romeo 1 interchanges with the Delta Point Pro. Pick your optic carefully and have a backup plan in place.

If you have any astigmatism the dot will appear larger than it is. For this reason I prefer my 3.25 MOA RMR over my 6.50 MOA RMR

I prefer the RMR adjustable led over the other RMR models. RM06, RM07, and RM09

There are some reliability issues with 1st generation slide mounted RMRs that has been fixed in the 2nd generation. Some have experienced them, some have not. There are a few tricks to get a 1 generation working.

I leave mine on all the time. Sometimes I might turn them down a notch. Battery life is in excess of a year.

For carry, the only thing I would consider is a 2nd Generation RMR or possibly a SRO. I’d really like to try out an SRO with its slightly larger view.

I’ve replaced a battery on my RMR and it went right back to zero. I think that’s less of an issue than people make it out to be. I may have gotten lucky. But once a year swap a battery and check it.

Also take a look at the Holosun 507c. It uses the RMR/SRO mounting pattern. I’m running one currently on a G34 MOS. I’m really impressed with it. It is a 2 MOA dot with a 32 MOA circle. You can select either or both. You can get into one for about $250. I disabled the solar and I’m running it battery only. Battery life is advertised the same as the RMR. Holosun builds many of Sigs optics. The smaller 2 MOA dot works well with my eye issues. I can easily turn it up and overdrive the brightness to make it appear larger if needed. I’m running both dot and circle. It lays a really nice 8” circle at 25 yards on the targets on GSSF comps.

I have played with a Sig Romeo 1 in a store but not shot a gun with it.

Slide mounted optics get placed under quite a bit of abuse. Larger calibers and loads increase that abuse. I’ve had issues with the 1st generation Turing off on a shot and back on with the next. An aftermarket plate and backing up the terminals finally fixed it. Never had an issue with the 2nd Gen or my Holosun.

Plene Paratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some points to consider.
Milling a slide is usually done to a particular optic. I believe the Sig Romeo 1 interchanges with the Delta Point Pro. Pick your optic carefully and have a backup plan in place.

If you have any astigmatism the dot will appear larger than it is. For this reason I prefer my 3.25 MOA RMR over my 6.50 MOA RMR

I prefer the RMR adjustable led over the other RMR models. RM06, RM07, and RM09

There are some reliability issues with 1st generation slide mounted RMRs that has been fixed in the 2nd generation. Some have experienced them, some have not. There are a few tricks to get a 1 generation working.

I leave mine on all the time. Sometimes I might turn them down a notch. Battery life is in excess of a year.

For carry, the only thing I would consider is a 2nd Generation RMR or possibly a SRO. I’d really like to try out an SRO with its slightly larger view.

I’ve replaced a battery on my RMR and it went right back to zero. I think that’s less of an issue than people make it out to be. I may have gotten lucky. But once a year swap a battery and check it.

Also take a look at the Holosun 507c. It uses the RMR/SRO mounting pattern. I’m running one currently on a G34 MOS. I’m really impressed with it. It is a 2 MOA dot with a 32 MOA circle. You can select either or both. You can get into one for about $250. I disabled the solar and I’m running it battery only. Battery life is advertised the same as the RMR. Holosun builds many of Sigs optics. The smaller 2 MOA dot works well with my eye issues. I can easily turn it up and overdrive the brightness to make it appear larger if needed. I’m running both dot and circle. It lays a really nice 8” circle at 25 yards on the targets on GSSF comps.

I have played with a Sig Romeo 1 in a store but not shot a gun with it.

Slide mounted optics get placed under quite a bit of abuse. Larger calibers and loads increase that abuse. I’ve had issues with the 1st generation Turing off on a shot and back on with the next. An aftermarket plate and backing up the terminals finally fixed it. Never had an issue with the 2nd Gen or my Holosun.

Pretty much 100% agree on this. One caveat - some folks are seeing failures in their Type 2's as well - however, at a lower rate than reported on Type 1's. I have never experienced a failure of my Type 1, in right around 25k rounds, but I did both of the "fixes" MP mentioned on Day One.

Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics has some of the best data available on RDS for handguns - granted, it is focused more on duty use, but still applicable.

Lots of reviews on various RDS here from him (boils down to the RMR being #1, Holosun being an excellent option, DPP being meh, and the ACRO initially appearing to be pretty solid):

https://www.youtube.com/user/SageDynamics/videos

His White Paper on RDS for duty use:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128_0ce3f826e1264cff964d64079552b640.pdf

Latest posts

Top Bottom