Rock Island 1911 Rear Sights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Working on fixing up a recently purchased Rock Island 1911. Most of the upgrades I have figured out except the sights. I have the Rock Standard FS with dovetail front and rear sights. Wanting to replace the front sight with a fiber optic, and the rear with an adjustable sight. Has anyone done this, or have any recommendations? I have looked at dozens of websites. All I am getting is confused. I did find a website (Dawson Precision) that has sights specifically for the Rock Island. Just no adjustable sights. From what I have been able to determint is the Rock Island uses a slightly smaller dovetail than the Novack. The Rock is .488 x 65 and Novack is .495 x 65, and that they may fit with some filing. Anyone have any experience solving this? Any help will be appreciated.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, this just adds to the confusion. I found a lot of wording like "Novak style sights." Just the measurements are all a little off.

Gunbuffer’s comment is right on. You’ll likely need to fit any sight you order. If you can measure you’re actual dovetail dimensions before you order that would be even better.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gunbuffer’s comment is right on. You’ll likely need to fit any sight you order. If you can measure you’re actual dovetail dimensions before you order that would be even better.
I come up with .475 with my caliper, but it's just a cheep one. I found online is supposed to be .488, that's probably correct.

Latest posts

Top Bottom