Rock Island Armory XT .22 Magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took this pistol to the range today and it was a pleasant experience. The frame is a full size 1911 with a proprietary slide. Best I can say is look at the various videos on YouTube to get an idea of how it works. I did mate my 70 series Colt slide to the frame and it fit but I did not shoot it. I was unable to get a GSG .22 conversion to mate to the frame although it does fit my 70 series Colt frame. I am told the frame will function with a standard 1911 .45 slide but would do more research prior to attempting to fire. Fit and finish on the pistol are RIA which is great for the price point.

The pistol came with one 15 round magazine as shown in the photo. I found this magazine much easier to load over the PMR30 but can still be a booger to top off. I have an Uplula for centerfire and am considering one of their rimfire and single stack for this pistol along with additional mags.

I inserted the magazine into the pistol and attempted to put into battery by pulling back on the slide with my weak hand. This is not possible with this pistol and you apparently must use the slide stop to put into battery. Also, the slide does not lock back on last round.

I put 200 rounds through the pistol starting with Hornady 30 gr. V-Max (50 rounds) with zero malfunctions. The second box was Winchester 40 grain 22 Win Mag Varmint & Small Game again with zero malfunctions and I was feeling pretty pumped. The third box, Winchester Varmint .22 WMR V-Max 30 gr. I experienced 3 misfires and all rims had a clean strike. Since I was shooting rimfire I waited a couple of moments after each to ensure no hang fires. On one misfire when I pulled the slide back the round failed to extract and was held firmly in chamber by the projectile only. I had to forcibly remove it from the chamber and I am perplexed as to what caused that as there was no problem feeding and the round was not deformed. The final box was CCI TNT Green 22 WMR. I had zero malfunctions with this box.

The first range time for me is to see if the pistol will run and it did. Next trip I will see about accuracy although it did shoot to point of aim at 7 out to 25 yards. The trigger is crisp but I did not check the pull and it is manageable. If I were to shoot at night I would consider wearing a welder's hood. The muzzle flash, to me, exceeds the PMR30.

In conclusion, it was fun to shoot.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_13fd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_13fd.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 440

Latest posts

Top Bottom