Rolex Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I'm not in a rush to pick one up but would prefer sooner than later.

@Cohiba I plan on going to the sales tomorrow. I'll stop you if I see you.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a ton of nice watches that cost less but are made just as well as the Rolex.

If you need a beater/budget watch, I highly recommend seiko divers. I have a BFK and its gone through hell and still works perfectly.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Rolex still comes out every once in a while but this is the one that gets the most time on my wrist. I can replace it for what it cost to send the Rolex in for service and it still has a classic look to it.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160611_129bfcf7040cd9d7dbd3732fc2ebcd5e.jpg

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
R&R Jewelers, been around for over 40 years off NW 51st and Western. They also just put in a Gun Store next to the Jewels. Great guys to deal with, talk to Larry.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
****Don't forget to buy a watch winder****

I like the Versa brands, economical and nice looking..........especially the burlwood. They're plastic but look like wood, and they get the job done.

http://www.versawatchwinders.com/

I have friends who have spent almost as much for winders as the cost of some watches.....WTF????

Versa double and single........they do make a quad.

www.versawatchwinders.com_images_products_versa_vr002_vr002_burl_open.jpg

www.versawatchwinders.com_images_products_versa_vr001_vr001_burl_open.jpg

Maybe it's just me...........I don't let them stay fully wound or charged. Once in a while I let the mainspring wind down. Just me......not liking the mainspring would fully all the time.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly endorse Charlie and Watches Etc. He bought my 16610 and paid a fair price. He serviced my 16613 at a fraction of the cost of what other shops charged and did a great job. His prices are fair and he has a great selection beyond what you see in the cases.
As far as the two options go, I'd take the sub no date over the sea dweller. Unless you plan on doing more than sport diving the sub will more than serve your needs. I personally think the sea dweller looks "clunky" because of its pressurization systems.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow............where do I start.

New: Retail....full price. Rolex doesn't allow AD...which stands for Authorized Dealers to discount. Plus if it's local, sales tax. Benefit....you know what you have(real) and have an AD that with any problems will send it to Rolex(usually Dallas...closest) or if they have an AUTHORIZED in-house watchmaker/ repair person it will be taken care of.

Grey Market: Places like Jomas or other online sites that are NOT an AD. What happens here..........because they're not authorized.........they CANNOT have the factory card/warranty card with the box and watch. These places sell real Rolex but offer their warrany. So any problems....and...you don't have the warranty card you can't go to an AD or send it to Rolex, Omega, Ulysse Nardin, Patek, Vacheron, Jager-LeCoultre.................etc. You send it back to whom you bought it from and HOPE they know what the f*ck they're doing with your watch.

I have heard that some of these places buy quantity watches and a few might be defective.........who knows???

Semi-Grey Market: There are guys that buy overstock, not sold items, slow moving items....etc...from AD dealers. They get ALL the paperwork from the dealer...including the warranty card...and when you buy the watch........

No sales tax.

The warranty card can be put in you name.

The Jeweler's name from who he obtained from is the dealer......that will look like....who you purchased it from. Sooooooo, send it back to the factory with the card or paperwork...no problem.

http://davidsw.com/

Call him and tell him what your looking for........he scours the Asian and other markets from AD .......and with the "New" stuff has factory cards with the watch that can be put in your name.

Here is a site I highly recommend:

http://www.rolexforums.com/...........join up and ask a TON of questions.

DO NOT get in any hurry.....they make plenty of them.

Take care of this watch and over the years you can trade it in or sell it at a nice price.

Rolex is like Colt..........................they may not be the best........BUT EVERYONE HAS HEARD OF THEM!!!!!

***Please take care of your new watch*** I had several friends in Galveston and Houston that didn't treat their watches well...mostly Rolex...and the luminescent turned a banana yellow from sun damage and the dial and bezel had a slight fade from sun damage.....golfing, fishing out in the Gulf, playing golf...etc.

If you can....go to B.C. Clarks.............downtown....talk to Joe( he looks like one of the newscaster Olge brothers) or Penn Square Gerald, Bruce, John Pinkerton....and ask,ask, and ask.

By the way, B.C. Clark's is having a watch sale, I and a friend will be at both tomorrow.....Penn and North Park. My buddy thinks I know a little more than he does about watches and wants my advice....he's looking at an Omega "Moon Watch" Chronometer.

I'll get off my rant and rave............hoped I helped...........If I misspelled, am incorrect, or any other problem I stand corrected. It's been a loooooooooong week and I've already had a few (5-6) Schlitz, 2 Sazerac, and 1 Old Fashioned................cheers:sunbath:

If I can be of assistance..........all you have to do is ask!!!
DavidSW is who I got my 16613 from! I would have no problem recommending him as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom