Romanian PSL-54: Worth the Money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Watch this. Easily my top 3 favorite guys to watch on YouTube. If I’m not mistaken he served in the polish army, immigrated to the US, and joined the Army. Think he went rangers even, and if I am not mistaken he now works/did work as a consultant afterwards. Lives, eats, and breathes combloc weapons, and has tons of practical experience. He may have other videos on the platform. Lots of technical info and torture tests.

I’ve really been tossing the idea around of purchasing a PSL, but the cost of adding a new caliber, new magazines, and all that is kinda making me drag my feet. I already have an AR 10 that is just as heavy, that does the same job better with ammo and mags that I already have. But man, I love the AK platform and am seriously considering it.

Last edited:

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one back in 2008, when they were much more reasonably priced. I already had several Mosins and lots of light ball 7.62, so it kind of made sense. It's a lot of fun to shoot, as reliable as any other AK platform rifle, and just plain cool to look at. Will drop wild hogs in their tracks. OTOH, the ComBlock optics are just okay, accuracy is good but not great, and it's kind of a pain to clean. (I don't trust any imported 7.62x54 to be non-corrosive, regardless of how it's labeled.) On balance, if you can find a decent deal on one, get it. If you decide it's not for you, you're unlikely to take a loss when it moves on to a new home.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there is a small qty of new imports that while pricey, are freaking mint. Buy it..the package comes with scope and all, like 5k though.

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one back in 2004, prices were about $450. It's an interesting piece to look at, dream about and talk about. Notice I didnt say shoot? Ergonomics are stupid with the short stock and really high scope way above to the boreline. The thin barrel whips and strings out shots as it heats up, if you can notice any shot patterns because of the 3-4 MOA accuracy on a good day. The eye bellow on the scope takes a short amount of time to get used to, but it's an annoyance. Much like the very long, slow bolt stroke that feels like the rifle is underlubed and full of grit, even though it always works. The scope was not the highest quality, or even mediocre quality. It comes off with single throw lever, but is nowhere near keeping your old zero when reinstalled. Enough to miss a deer broadside at 20 yards, easily off by 18-24" at 25m. On the positive, recoil was light and ammo was cheap. I had no regrets selling it, other than that prices keep climbing, which I will never understand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom