Root Cellar Plans/Ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody have any tips or ideas before I go off half cocked and fire up the excavator? I am considering using gabion baskets with steel support uprights (hidden in the baskets).

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know, have no idea, but would one of the smaller-ish sized used metal shipping containers work well?

I don't know if they're somewhat rust resistant, or what, or how sturdy they are, but if you were to dig a big enough hole and sort of hill over it, sod and such to protect wind erosion, etc, it might make an excellent root cellar/tornado shelter/ SHTF hidey hole.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know, have no idea, but would one of the smaller-ish sized used metal shipping containers work well?

I don't know if they're somewhat rust resistant, or what, or how sturdy they are, but if you were to dig a big enough hole and sort of hill over it, sod and such to protect wind erosion, etc, it might make an excellent root cellar/tornado shelter/ SHTF hidey hole.
You will have to put beams or some other support across the top of a container from side to side of the hole. They will crush like a pop can with the weight on top. Pulling smushed conexes out of the ground is harder than putting them in.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are wanting a root cellar and not a storm shelter make sure you leave the floor dirt at least so the root crops you store will keep. the best is really dig and use posts with heavy treated lumber or brick for the walls and then backfill. the top can be poured concrete if you want. for root cellar i would make it aprox 10 x10.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will have to put beams or some other support across the top of a container from side to side of the hole. They will crush like a pop can with the weight on top. Pulling smushed conexes out of the ground is harder than putting them in.
You put smushed conexes into the ground?

Latest posts

Top Bottom