Roto tilling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gardening is so hit and miss, plus canning afterwards… buy cases of canned veggies and fruits to stash and worry about WATER. IMHO 🤷‍♂️
I agree to a point but some things are better fresh. I just ordered 24 cans of pink beans, but canned zucchini makes rotten chips. I thought about ordering dried beans but shipping was "In a month or two" plus you have to add water to soak and cook them. Thinking about some lentils since you do not have to soak them.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps, if your bean are really old, soaking might help. Otherwise, you don’t really need to soak if you’re using beans that are fresh or only a few years old.

FWIW, my great grandmother never soaked her beans and her beans were outstanding. She never sent anyone home without her made from scratch refried beans and tortillas. I was a good day if you got scrambled eggs with chorizo, too.

Dried beans have an almost indefinite shelf-life If stored correctly. They will lose most of their vitamin content after about 5 years.

Last edited:

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree to a point but some things are better fresh. I just ordered 24 cans of pink beans, but canned zucchini makes rotten chips. I thought about ordering dried beans but shipping was "In a month or two" plus you have to add water to soak and cook them. Thinking about some lentils since you do not have to soak them.
Wish I had space AND MY WIFE didn’t think I’m a paranoid freak… just trying to prepare for obvious.. not if but when.. IMHO 🤷‍♂️ (I’m screwed.. by wife.. but not right type 🙄)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I had space AND MY WIFE didn’t think I’m a paranoid freak… just trying to prepare for obvious.. not if but when.. IMHO 🤷‍♂️ (I’m screwed.. by wife.. but not right type 🙄)
I try to buy an extra can or two of whatever is on sale that week. I stash them under the bed or under a desk I have in my bedroom. I only bought the 24 cans of pink beans because it was a good deal and I can not find them local. We even went to the little Mexican grocery to hunt for them. I really can not tell the difference between them and pintos but the wife can. I do have several bags of pintos on hand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom