Roto tilling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. I can use the 6’ tiller on the tractor and pulverized most soils into dust in 1/4 acre per hour. More if sandy.
Yes I can only dream of having enough room for that.

I feel that if things keep getting worse next spring I will have to put in a bigger garden. May even have to buy a used tiller if I can. If not I will need it done really good once and then maybe I can talk the wife into an electric one for upkeep..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it keeps up the tiller business will be booming cause people will want their entire yards tilled up to make gardens
My neighbor did just that in 2003 and tilled in 36 bags of 10-20-10
You could pick 55 gallons of cucumbers a day, Tomato plants 25 feet long, you had to wade through them flipping the bushes over to find tomatoes.

He sat out at night watering the garden and drinking beer.
Normally water bill was in the 55 dollar range but after the garden went in it was $200 a month.

He had a few friends just randomly show up to pick veggies and take home and it did not put a dent in the cucumbers.
Those things will get as big as a spaghetti squash and be orange in color. Not good eating at that stage.
There was so many they just got covered up.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it keeps up the tiller business will be booming cause people will want their entire yards tilled up to make gardens

I'm trying to do this now. I've gotten those fire pit rings from Atwoods and some heavy landscape cloth. Looks like I'm not gonna be able to get it set up until this fall (between the weather, work and my surgeries at the Spine Hospital I'm BOOKED ... Lol) but hopefully I will be ready for some winter crops ... And in full swing for Spring 2023 ...

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought a small Stihl tiller to use in my raised beds, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I’m not sure I really have enough square footage to justify it.
FEFE561F-C2CA-41BF-9052-BD337E8E1609.jpeg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought a small Stihl tiller to use in my raised beds, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I’m not sure I really have enough square footage to justify it.
View attachment 287110
I bought a new model of that same cultivator this spring. It's pretty amazing how much they will do with those pick tines on them.

I will say that it didn't work at all on leveling my daughter's spot for her pool that was what had to be not just clay, but fired clay. We went and rented one of those big Honda rear tine tillers at Home Depot and even that big bastage didn't want to do it either. We got it good enough but I swear it about killed us. It was like hard rock under the bermuda roots.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new model of that same cultivator this spring. It's pretty amazing how much they will do with those pick tines on them.

I will say that it didn't work at all on leveling my daughter's spot for her pool that was what had to be not just clay, but fired clay. We went and rented one of those big Honda rear tine tillers at Home Depot and even that big bastage didn't want to do it either. We got it good enough but I swear it about killed us. It was like hard rock under the bermuda roots.

Did you water the lawn before trying to till it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom