Rough Rider 22 revolver walnut grips i made.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to thank Tommy at Sooner State Pawn for setting one of these back for me.
Thanks Tommy!
Now i really did not like the laminated multi color wood grips but that can change.
And change it did..
This is my first time to try and make a wood grip for a gun.
I have a few small pieces of 1" thick dark walnut so i got out the jig saw and grinder and sanders and came up with a decent looking walnut grip.
I used mineral oil on it.
I only made 1 side so far ..
Took about 90 minutes.. Here is a pick of the gun with the grip attached and the stock one beside it.
Improvement or not?

rough rider .22.jpg

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty impressive, looks great! I'd say its an improvement, I don't care for those laminate grips either. I do love the gray laminate grips for the Rugers, I plan on getting a set one day.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you .
The second side went way quicker, took 45 minutes to do it. Practice, Practice.
Feels so much better in my hand also as i made them just a bit fatter.

edit. here is a pic of the other side.
Looks like a lump near the base but it is not,, just the way the grain looks.
I agree with you RichardA76 looks like an original 6 shooter or closer anyway.
rough rider .22 004.jpg

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NO ( i know you are kidding though) wood is too expensive and time could not justify a return ,based on what you could buy them for.
I assume you can buy some anyway.

And i am not that good yet :)

I build cars. I cut a front suspension out of a 1980 pinto and stuck it into my 1947 dodge truck, after i grafted 2x3 rectangular tubing into the pinto suspension.
I made steering linkage and all went great...Easy for me .. took a few days.
I had a neighbor ask me to do this to his 39 and he had the pinto to donate the suspension.

I gave him a price and he dropped his jaw and stated he had another guy say he could do it for 300 bucks.

Jump on it. I told him.
Ok so remove factory 39 engine trans and steering...and remove pinto crap and then install into 39 and hook it all back up and make brakes and steering work properly.
Liability if it breaks ..Not that i would worry there.

So i ask him how much would it cost to have your 1 ton front suspension rebuilt including brakes and bearings
brake lines and all steering components changed...This is an R&R deal and would cost over 1K.
300 bucks to build a fab.. forget it.

But if someone brought the wood and wanted to do some grips their self I would be more than happy to let them use my tools and show them for free!
I wonder if all the frames are exactly the same.. a little overhang or "underhang" of the grip could result if the frame was off a tad or the pin.
I spoke of this to a buddy just about an hour ago.
Now i must go look to see if grips are offered for this gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom