Router died

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just so you know the cloudkey has nothing to do with the cloud. It's just a central control hub that connects all the devices where you can manage everything from a single point vs each device having it's own management page and settings.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Time to go enterprise. I'd snag an Edgerouter from Ubiquiti and grab a small TPLink or Netgear Switch. Bonus points for POE switches so you can run something like a Unifi AP without needing a separate power run.

I gave up on big-box routers and went with an Edgerouter, UAP-AC Lite and a 16 port POE Netgear switch. Now I just need to run my ethernet in the attic instead of having my house look like the 1900s with high lines stapled everywhere.
I just did the wire-running thing. It's worth it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have about 20 Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX routers in service at work, and they're reliable, inexpensive (~$70 @Amazon, IIRC), and surprisingly configurable, but I'm not sure how end-user friendly they are. They have a pretty good WebUI, but their CLI configurability is what I use the most.

Personally, I'd avoid D-Link. I used to recommend them, but their recent decision to not provide security updates to recently end-of-lifed models (including some that are still in new product pipelines or sitting on store shelves) is unconscionable. Normally, I would recommend Eero, but if you don't want wireless, I'd say to look for Netgear equipment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom