RPR finally dialed in on a calm day and reloads tested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Shot some “factory” reloads I had from Amer-I-Can ammo. .308 / 168 grain Hornady HPBT. Wish I had his recipe. They seem to shoot well. Here’s the target. 10 rounds at 100 yards.
2B329024-69EB-4EF7-AA24-F9894D1D8693.jpeg

Then tested 10 of my reloads that I’m trying to get figured out. Not sure what to do from here except increase the COAL a little, try lapua brass, or change bullet type. I’ve noticed that my gun shoots Hornady HPBT bullets very well which is what the above picture is and the Hornady Match ammo was HPBT that I shot the other day grouped like the above target. My reloads are with Hornady 168 grain ELD bullets. Y’all think maybe I should try different bullets and see if my recipe tightens up any? I got trigger happy and the below group is about 7 rounds. Shot the other 3 at the target next to It and didn’t take a photo. Don’t ask why I did it that way. I wasn’t thinking clear I guess.
14FC1784-C35D-4285-B6BC-BC0A356F8497.jpeg

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady bullets utilize a secant ogive. It usually improves BC, but can be more sensitive to seating depth. If you have any if that factory ammo left I'd be getting CBTO or at least COL/COAL measurements for reference.

Might just want to try a different depth like you first mentioned to see if it makes a difference.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned hornadys dont seem to like to be very tight in the lands, I have had the best luck with them just barely off the lands
I have also not had much luck with the eld bullets. I have the best results with vmax, or the old amax. Pretty nice groups though

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
As mentioned hornadys dont seem to like to be very tight in the lands, I have had the best luck with them just barely off the lands
I have also not had much luck with the eld bullets. I have the best results with vmax, or the old amax. Pretty nice groups though

I ordered a box of 168 grain Hornady HPBT bullets to see if those work better.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked on there web page, they show that they still make the 168 amax, they used to make a 175 amax that shoots lights out. I shoot 185 bergers
in mine. I think they used to make a 175 vmax as well, I will have to look through my stuff. I know the 175 amax though, I have alot of those bullets.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I looked on there web page, they show that they still make the 168 amax, they used to make a 175 amax that shoots lights out. I shoot 185 bergers
in mine. I think they used to make a 175 vmax as well, I will have to look through my stuff. I know the 175 amax though, I have alot of those bullets.

next month I’ll be getting quite a few 175 grain Sierras so then my testing will start all over again. I’m excited to see how they end up shooting.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get to Woodward very often, Butch's usually has a pretty good selection of .30cal bullets in stock. He had customer appreciation days
Friday and Saturday, 10% off everything, and %25 off some things, and bench made knives. The sig sauer rep was there, cool guy, they have
some awesome stuff coming down the pipe as well. If get to Woodward, stop and say hi, I am the service manager at Central Power, the
Detroit shop as you come into town.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve read that boat-tail bullets don’t really begin settling down until they are past 100yds. Might be worth doing some of your testing at longer distances, too.

The old "bullet going to sleep" stories have been around for a long time. It would be quite the feat of physics for a bullet to reduce yaw in flight.

However, boat tail bullets are less optimal for extreme accuracy at closer ranges as you eluded...has to deal with gasses escaping around the crown as the bullet exits the muzzle, and the fact that a boat tail design allows that to happen sooner/more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom