RR m16 The receiver was cerocoated in FDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found one RR but The receiver was cerocoated in FDE. I am just not comfortable when the original black finished is covered by cerocoated in FDE. If there is any crack on the receiver, I cannot see it on inspection. Feeling of spending 17K on a receiver that I can not see any mark or history of wear after 20 years is not good. Can not tell if the original was good or bad. Any opinion or suggestion if this is a GTG if this was for your investment and for play

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The receiver doesn't take much abuse, even if it were, I think it would be purely cosmetic, and could be repaired. It doesn't cost much to cerakote a receiver, media blast it and re-coat it if it eases your mind. While bare, you could flux it, but I doubt you'd find anything. Stuff like this is rare, and probably a better investment than most stocks or bonds.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might sound CRAZY but why not find out if you can get it X Rayed to see if there are any cracks in it? I have no experience with this but have seen people talk about X raying metal items before. Might be some type of company that will X ray welds in pipeline that could do it for you.

centraloklahoma

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand your concern before spending that much money, but frankly I wouldn't worry about it. The lower receiver is a low stress part and even a KB usually never hurts it (might flare out the magwell some). I have had my RR for over 22 years and have ridden it hard and dropped it on concrete a couple of times and the lower is still fine.