Ruger 10-22 vs Rem 597

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does the 597 compare to the Ruger?
Quality, accuracy, reliable?
Are parts readily available? Probably won't want to customize it, just scope it and plink. Punch some holes in paper.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of both and haven't had a problem with either one. I haven't put thousands of rounds through either one, but I haven't had any issues. The Ruger feels like better quality. My 597 has a plastic stock where my 10/22 has a houge stock. As for accuracy I honestly haven't put them in a head to head. That is a good idea though and I will have to do that sometime. As for availability of parts I can't say. Neither one has broken anything. I will say that I have only found 10 round mags for the 597 while the 10/22 has several different choices of capacities. I have seen some aftermarket socks for the 597 that will make it look like an AR just like the 10/22. With regards to ammo I have fed both rifles a variety of brands and have not had any problems with function. I have had ammo issues but no rifle issues. In the end I would say the 597 is good, but not as good as a10/22. I hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both and here's my assessment:

Ruger 10/22 has clear advantages if you want to customize or modify, due to the sheer volume of options. I've gone down this road and, in general, if you think you'll be changing barrels and stocks the 10/22 will be much more appealing.

I don't think there is any appreciable accuracy difference on baseline models and both can be had with heavy barrels.

Price edge goes to the 597 but these are both entry level guns so the cost isn't high to begin with for either a base model 10/22 or Remington 597 - maybe a $50-70 difference at standard market prices.

In one area the 597 series wins hands down - if you want a .22 magnum it is the only realistic choice between the two unless you want to pay a lot for a rare 10/22 that seems to have reliability problems. However neither the 597 nor the 10/22 currently produce .22 magnum models you will be looking on the used market .

(Full disclosure - I am currently trying to sell a 597 in .22 magnum on OSA)

I also do not concur with the "cheap" feel comment. The 597 has a very substantive "feeling" polymer stock. By comparison I like the 10/22 wood and tacti-cool stock options but do not like the (IMO) too thin factory basic all-weather composite stock.

While the 597 does have more than just 10-rd magazine choices available - Academy, Cabela's, Walmart, and Midway USA all have some available - the 10/22 has a very wide array of after-market and higher cap magazines available.

Hope this helps.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to say that I got my son a 10/22 takedown for Christmas and I am very happy with it. The quality is excellent. We fired it yesterday and it functioned flawlessly. Very very accurate as well. Gonna put a magpul stock on it with a bipod and scope and it will be tack driver. I don't think you could ever go wrong with one. And the parts availability is astonishing. And from everything I have read, the ruger mags are very reliable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom