Ruger 1911 in 10mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be the snob....the Ruger 1911's I've held were not something I was a fan of. They just felt looser than the other 1911's I've been around. Silly stuff to some...but things like when a trigger rattles in the frame, or beaver tail, etc...that annoys me. Granted they cost less...but areas like that, it shows.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been drunk since I've last seen one, but didn't the old ones have a goofy proprietary sight on the rear? Did they replace the entire slide?
Yes, I had the "integral" sight, and no, they didn't replace the slide; they milled down the rib (milled it completely off where the new sight went) and cut a dovetail.

Mine is a stainless model (PM-1S), so blued guns might not have that option.

I'll be the snob....the Ruger 1911's I've held were not something I was a fan of. They just felt looser than the other 1911's I've been around. Silly stuff to some...but things like when a trigger rattles in the frame, or beaver tail, etc...that annoys me. Granted they cost less...but areas like that, it shows.

There are those who will argue that tightness (which gives superior accuracy) sacrifices reliability. I tend to hold to that theory as a general rule (i.e. mass production or semi-custom), with the caveat that a truly superior 1911 smith can make a gun that is plenty tight and still reliable.

For bonus fun points about 1911 reliability, one of my favorite gun bloggers is running a reliability test on a number of pistols, including a 1911 pattern, that involves 2,000 rounds of various kinds of ammo with no cleaning; every malfunction she has is documented with what round number and the nature of the malfunction. So far, her Wilson Combat Tactical Carry Professional has had the best record, with only a single malfunction...and that was a squib load at round 29, which certainly can't be charged to the gun. Canik fans, prepare to have your hearts broken; everybody else did fairly well.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

And, at the risk of contradicting my last post...

I just picked up a very nice used S&W E series scandium frame bobtail. Took it to the range, fired a box of ammo (yes, just one, it was HOT outside for my old butt). It runs great. Here is my very brief review/comparison:

Is the Smith tighter overall? Yes, certainly.
Is the Smith prettier? Undoubtedly.
Does the Smith have a better trigger? Yes, but not a huge difference.
Is one more accurate? Not really (at least in my hands).
Do I like the Smith better? Yes.
Is the Smith (new) a lot more expensive? Yes.
Am I keeping the Smith? You betcha!

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pre-CZ DW Pointman, and I had the same issue with the rear sight. After sending me a couple of replacement roll pins, they replaced the sight with a dovetailed version under warranty, and it's been great ever since. Poor design, since rectified.

That is the only problem I've ever had with mine; otherwise, it's been as reliable as a stone axe, even when dirty. Love the thing.

I wasn't the original purchaser so CZ wouldn't do anything with me unless I was sending them several hundred dollars. They did not agree the design was defective either after I suggested that.

Last edited:

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Underwood has some of the best full house 10mm loads made these days. And their prices are better than others as well.

I've shot a lot of them through my Glock 40 getting ready for this deer season...

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Minor rattling like that is easy to fix; I'll have my non-rattling, nice triggered, accurate Ruger SR 1911 at the ENS that I'd like for you to check out and shoot if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom