ruger 38 or smith and wesson 38

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 642 that I am very happy with. I have a friend that has a LCR and he likes it. I have handled, but not shot, the LCR and it seems pretty well made, but something about a polymer revolver just isn't quite right to me. (But I also prefer a metal frame Beretta or Sig to a Glock or XD.)

The Smith has a longer history and more ways to customize it if your into that, but for the person who just wants a lightweight carry revolver, it probably comes down to personal preference.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seem's there are already some issue's with the LCR cropping up. Even though a recall hasn't been issued, several have been returned to Ruger for trigger issues, sever flame cutting on the topstrap. Its not a gun that you can go shoot the snot out of like you can with an all steel J-frame(Like the Ruger I wouldn't try shooting an airweight J-frame like that either), and I prefer all steel to alloy for these small guns, its not that big of a weight difference.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
s&w snubbie been around a long time. can't go wrong. LCR is just a modern package for the same old problem. i don't usually like new models or designs if i am carrying it for CCW. I like my 642 a lot but it does kick as all 15 oz 38 spcl handguns.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both and shot both. I prefer the LCR as it is lighter, feels better in my hand and has less recoil. You will be happy with either buy. My vote is buy something used from a OSAer!