Ruger .44 Mag Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, there I was a while back in a pawnshop in Tulsa perusing the firearms selection. They had Remington 742 that I liked, but I kept looking.

I came across a Ruger 10/22, heck of a scope on it, sling, and looked like someone was trying to make it into a deer slayer. It was average priced.

Right next to it was one without scope or sling, plain Jane, and was $100 more. So I had to know. Asked the guy behind the counter.

It handed it across the counter, as he was giving me info. It was a Ruger .44 Mag Carbine. Took it to the rental car I was driving at the time and home. Had buyer's remorse the whole way home. I was an idiot, he saw me coming from a mile away, this is a POS, what was I thinking.....etc...

Almost took it and sold it a few times after I got home. Just couldn't see purpose or even enjoyment.

Well, a month or so later finally got some ammo and journeyed out to shoot it. Felt just like a 10/22, little heavier. I loaded one round, had issue getting the round in the tube mag, fed properly, so buyer's remorse grew.

Was about 50 yards out. Shouldered it. Squeezed the trigger and HOLY ****! What the hell did I do wrong? Oh yeah....not a .22. Loaded another couple rounds. Fired again.....this time holding it tight.

Went and checked the paper. Little off, but a kill shot and size of a quarter. I immediately began wondering why I had not heard of the carbine before.

She is fun to shoot too.

Mine was manufactured in 78, has some signs of neglect to the bluing on the barrel, but otherwise in great shape. Everyone who has shot it has said the same thing.....I really like it, but it throws you off looking like a 10/22.

Anyone else have any experience with one?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

pigguy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
have one with holographic sight,using hornady 300 grain factory ammo ,it is a deer slayer and hogs too,what did you pay for yours?looking for another for nephew

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Reason you never heard of one tells me you may be somewhat young, or you just never got into Ruger rifle's. The Ruger carbine should have never been dropped!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one too! Mine is a 76 model. Shoots like a dream. The ruger carbine in centerfire came before the 10-22. Killed a fat doe with it last year. I can shoot about a 3" group at 100 yds with a red dot sight.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I owned one for a few years and liked it. Stupid for selling it.

Mine only worked reliably with 240gr full power .44 mag ammo. Didn't like blazer aluminum case or 180gr ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom