Ruger American Predator 6.5 Grendel first shots - not happy ( getting better)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you've eliminated all the variables mount/rings VC3'd and proper torque, I'd focus on ammo.

My HMR 6.5 Creed wouldn't print below a 2" group even with Lapua 3 dollar a round stuff. Once fired full length sized brass, 140 grain SMK, (forgot the charge) H4350 with little bit longer OAL first loads all printed sub MOA. Long story short, my rifle sucked with all 5 different factory loads. She prints .333" 5 shot groups with my loads now. My rifles issue ended up being it loved a shorter jump to the lands. Factory OAL was just too much of a jump to the lands to get the accuracy it wanted

I don't know anything about your optic, but unless it's a 40 dollar Amazon Special or a sample of 1 with a defect, any half decent optic properly mounted and torque will hold zero with 6.5 Gren recoil.

Lastly, find out the proper torque for your stock bolts. Too much or too little will make your brain spin chasing groups if it's off.

Good luck

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His optic was mentioned in the first post.
MEOPTA OPTIKA5 4-20x50 sitting in a DNZ game reaper.
I think it just needs shot a bit and handloads will usually trump factory ammo.

Now say you do not handload. Then I would get some rounds down the tube and
Stretch it's legs if you can.
I have many handloads that print .75" groups at 100 yards and at 200 yards they will still stay under 1".
You may get a surprise and those 1.75" groups may not get any larger.

Shoot it and see.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t concern myself with grouping of a new rifle with only one brand/weight of ammo through it. I’ve seen custom rifles with Bartlein, Krieger, and Hart barrels not shoot factory ammo good.

Although expensive, Copper Creek makes very good ammo that might shoot decent in your rifle. 6.5 Grendel – Copper Creek Cartridge Co.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How strong was the wind, at your location today? It’s been 25-30 mph around the Tulsa/Glenpool area. Stiff wind, out of the south. I wouldn’t get too frustrated sighting in a rifle on a miserable high wind day. Wouldn’t make a lot of scope adjustments in crap conditions like today. There will be another day, better, calmer. Wish you luck, better results on a better day. Just heard my weatherman say 40-45 mph gusts today, 10/22/2022 1817 hrs.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How strong was the wind, at your location today? It’s been 25-30 mph around the Tulsa/Glenpool area. Stiff wind, out of the south. I wouldn’t get too frustrated sighting in a rifle on a miserable high wind day. Wouldn’t make a lot of scope adjustments in crap conditions like today. There will be another day, better, calmer. Wish you luck, better results on a better day. Just heard my weatherman say 40-45 mph gusts today, 10/22/2022 1817 hrs.
It was probably 15mph today with gust.

I'm getting some different ammo headed this way & I'm going to look up that copper creek ammo.

I do reload for 30-30 and have many other calibers in the past. I will for this rifle eventually. It's acceptable for the range I'll be deer hunting this year ( under 100 yards ) I'm just bummed because my savage 223 shoots everything so good, it doesn't seem to matter if it's dirty, clean hot or cold screws are tight or loose lol I was hoping this gun would be the same & it may turn out to be a shooter before it's over anyway

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you haven’t already, check your barrel/stock to make sure it isn’t touching, whether while sitting, on the bipod, or on a sandbag. Check the v block bedding in the stock too, just to make sure nothing is crooked. I found in my Ruger American ranch rifles that they take a lot more breaking in than most of my other rifles, my 223 is at 150 rounds or so and starting to tighten up (or so it seems?), and my 762x39 took about 200. I second the sentiment of the torque wrench and the sandbag rather than the bipod. Vortex sells a decent, affordable one. I got mine off Amazon. I’ve gotten more than my moneys worth out of it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not really seeing a big problem with a rifle that'll shoot 1.2" groups with one type of ammo. Personally, I don't think that's a big deal at all. Especially in the wind. That's pretty doggone good for a factory rifle. Not the best...certainly not the worst. Not even close.

Latest posts

Top Bottom