Ruger American Predator 6.5 Grendel first shots - not happy ( getting better)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not really seeing a big problem with a rifle that'll shoot 1.2" groups with one type of ammo. Personally, I don't think that's a big deal at all. Especially in the wind. That's pretty doggone good for a factory rifle. Not the best...certainly not the worst. Not even close.
Yeah I need to find out what it likes with ammo, my 223 shoots everything so good I'm comparing this Ruger to it I guess expecting it to also just shoot any ammo under an inch. Next I'm trying some 120gr nosler hopefully it likes that better.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My Grendel does not like the Hornady black. It liked the Hornady American gunner a lot, Hornady Black and Hornady custom were all over the place. The more I shot the better the rifle did with the American Gunner. I reload for it and get clovers at 100 yards with it when I do my job.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Grendel does not like the Hornady black. It liked the Hornady American gunner a lot, Hornady Black and Hornady custom were all over the place. The more I shot the better the rifle did with the American Gunner. I reload for it and get clovers at 100 yards with it when I do my job.
My Grendel doesn’t like the 123g Black as much and by far prefers the 123g Hornady SST.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something that just came to mind that I should have thought about is I did notice in those 40 rounds that I shot every third of fourth round the bolt would be somewhat snug to close I assumed it was just a feeding issue with the new rifle but in doing some research some other people have had the issue with a somewhat tight bolt on closing with the Hornady black 123 grain ELD match and there's didn't shoot very well. Going to try some different ammo and hopefully things improve I'm not going to give up on it just have to keep picking at it until I figure out what it likes

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the bolt is tight to close, you may be jamming the bullet into the lands to tight. In my
experience, hornady bullets do not like to be as tight to the lands as some other bullets
like berger, or sierra. I have never had a gun that likes the hornady black. I also think
that it is very dirty shooting round. I would try some different ammos for sure, there
is probably one out there that it will like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom