Ruger American Ranch 5.56 first 11 shots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I pick this up a little while ago and finally got it out to zero it. I am shooting some Hornady hand loads that were worked up for a gas gun a few years ago that use a 50-grain zMAX projectile over Varget.
I shot at some steel first just to see where it was hitting and it was about a foot low and 2" to the left so I cranked it up a bunch and shot a second shot and it was about 6" low and 2" to the left and I cranked it up again and it was now pretty good for elevation and 2" to left so I dialed it to the right and it pretty much hit where I wanted on the steel plate. Obviously with the splatter it's kind of hard to get super precise but I figured it was good enough to be on paper.
Move over to the paper and shot four shots kind of quick which are the four that are at 6:00. So I dialed up four clicks and slowed down a little bit and got the three shot group in the center. I won't be winning any F class competitions with it but considering it's about the cheapest rifle you can buy and these loads were worked up for a completely different gun I was pretty happy with the results. POI moved about 1" low and right when I put the can on. Will adjust for that and just always shoot with the can.

IMG_20220917_184654914.jpg

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good. Brought back memories of my efforts to zero a mini-14, I bought used back in 1980. Erratic POI with factory 55 grain ball ammo. Your Ruger Ranch rifle is a bolt action, with a Magpul stock? What sight/scope?

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, I got mine zeroed with some 75gr Hornady Hand Loads and once there it would touch them. Then had an opportunity to ring some steel out to 300 and only impacted about 3" lower on the plate than my holdover with the can on.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice, I got mine zeroed with some 75gr Hornady Hand Loads and once there it would touch them. Then had an opportunity to ring some steel out to 300 and only impacted about 3" lower on the plate than my holdover with the can on.

I thought about shooting some factory heavier stuff but I have a bunch of these handloads and plan on using it for critters. Good to know it'll do well with basically all weights though!

Latest posts

Top Bottom