Ruger American Rifle Hunter - worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzarksOkie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a 308 in my closet and have been wanting to add one. Been a Browning guy all my life, but they aren’t the guns they used to be and am looking for something different.

I have narrowed down my choice between Bergara and Ruger….but leaning hard on Ruger for two main reasons:
1.) the Ruger is a few hundred less
2.) and from what I am seeing the grouping b/w the two is the same

I hunt mostly wooded areas with 150 yard maximum shots. 90% of my hunting will be from stands with a shooting rest, so weight is not a huge factor.

Before others start suggesting different calibers, I have most everything b/w 25 - 300…just not a 308.

Looking to hear from folks that have had positive/negative experiences with the Ruger.

Thanks.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 6.5 cm predator. Excellent rifle. You're not going to find better for the price especially since they come with a CHF barrel. That's my tree-fitty anyway.

Daughter is the primary on it and shoots .75 MOA with Freedom Munitions 140gr hpbt match ammo (inexpensive match ammo)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Ruger Predator model 308.
#1 I don't like the stock on the hunter model.
#2 i didn't want to pay $300 extra for the stock.
#3 Understand that the Ruger Americans like heavier than common bullets.
Mines shoots 4inch groups with 147 grain and Nickel size groups with 165 grain.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking, was that the Hunter model. Good price either way, but dang good on the Hunter…unless I just don’t know where to look.
Standard ruger american .308 at Buds gun shop online is $433.00...... Hopalong49 on here can receive for you he's in broken arrow for $25....

Latest posts

Top Bottom