Ruger American Rifle Hunter - worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one and really liked it. The only complaint was the first shot on a cold barrel was always a little high. After that shot it was always dead on even at 100 yards. I am not sure why but that was my experience and it wasn't much, something like an inch or two at 100 yards.

A great gun, you will like it and wish I still had mine.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I’d take a chance on the 6.5 creed now, but I’m looking for a shorter barrel and I know the 308 performs well at 18-20”.

I was like you many years ago and took a chance on the 25 wssm - love the gun for whitetails - but I’ll be reloading after my stockpile is gone

Yeah but reloading is where it’s at for wildcat or un common calibers. Buddy of mine has a 243 WSSM and can make that thing SCREAM with hand loads. If I was gonna get a wssm it would be the 25, love my 25-06

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6.5 Grendel is all you need for anything in the lower 48.
Damn straight!
My Grendel has taken more animals over 300yds then any other gun I own. Of course it’s a lot lighter then most that are effective that far out so it gets used more, but still it is my go to for deer and yotes. Does good on hogs too but I like to blow cinder block exit holes out of them devil creatures.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't take much to kill a deer shot placement and bullet performance is key as we all know.
My 6.5 CM i was not impressed with and wish I never bought it.
I love my .308 and it is an 18" barrel Savage 10SR yea a little heavier than most care for but first shot and the next ones go in darn close to the same place.

Look here.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/finally-went-shooting-savage-10sr-18-308.265337/I say get a heavier barrel .308 and a short one like 18".
Accuracy node is much wider in a shorter barrel.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Every time there's an ammo scare, 9mm/5.56/.308/7.62x39 fly off the shelves, but there are stacks of .243, 7mm-08, and 6.5 creedmoor are left sitting there.

I think 6.5 Creedmor is popular enough now that it flys off the shelf too. Same as .243.

Never seen 7mm-08 on the shelf to be honest. Scare or not.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keeping it real here. The 6.5 Grendel may be all you need for ANYTHING in the lower 48 (hyperbole), but its certainly not legal for certain game species in a few states where minimum bullet weight and/or caliber are required.

Latest posts

Top Bottom