Ruger American scope leveling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i have the wheeler level,level,level. It works great on all other guns but the inside of the receiver on a Ruger American is cylindrical. There is nothing for the other side of the magnet/level to sit on. I know many of you guys have one of these rifles. How do/did you level the scope?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0752.JPG
This is the only place I can find to use the level. It is anything but ideal.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
String levels work too. Pull your cap off the scope and set it on and get them both level to each other. Keep checking the level when you tighten the rings and make sure not to over tighten. Alternate screws slowly and evenly.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go by eye and then do a tall target test. You need to verify it anyway. No guarantee on the scope intervals being perfect with the flat portion of the scope. And I sure hope you lapped those rings.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a plastic piece that straps to the pic rail and has horizontal lines on it. Just level the crosshairs with the lines. But for your situation, find the largest allen wrench that will fit between the scope where the turrets are. There should be a flat spot on the bottom. And turn the wrench to fill the gap between your scope and your base. Tighten your scope rings while you have stress on the allen wrench. I hope that makes sense. And I also will always lap my scope rings from now on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go by eye and then do a tall target test. You need to verify it anyway. No guarantee on the scope intervals being perfect with the flat portion of the scope. And I sure hope you lapped those rings.
I've gone to the one piece bases and rings. I still check for high spots by lapping, but find much less variance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom