Ruger AR-556

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody out there with Ruger AR-556 experience? Seeing them at a pretty good price online.
Would be my first "sporting rifle".

I have built rifles with a couple of Ruger AR-556 lowers, but not a complete 100% Ruger AR-556.

If it's like other Ruger firearms it should be a solid rifle.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC there are a couple of proprietary parts on them. You might want to look into it if you want across the board compatibility with all AR parts.

There are some good deals on the Sport II online.

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one a couple years ago. It functioned well for a couple hundred rounds when both taper pins migrated out of the gas block and left for parts unknown. A nice lady at Ruger told me they'd had a bad run of those from a contractor and she quickly sent me replacements. I installed them with some blue thread locker and its been ok. As an aside, I recently picked up a new Mk IV hunter and it started to disassemble itself at the range. I didn't lose any screws this time but the lady shipped me new ones anyway.
This is only one man's experience but I think its horseshit that you have to finish building them when you take it out of the box.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC there are a couple of proprietary parts on them. You might want to look into it if you want across the board compatibility with all AR parts.

There are some good deals on the Sport II online.

Those good deals on the Sport II is what started me looking. That's when I saw the Ruger for even less.
I did see that the Ruger has a different barrel nut system but that it could be swapped out for AR standard if you want. Trying to find out now if there are other parts the same way.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Opening up a box and heading to the range is fun. But, if you build one, you’ll know exactly what makes that gun tick. It’s a sense of accomplishment and fun too.
I've certainly thought about building one but when you can get into a decent brand for well under five bills delivered..........

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of the grey models. Bought it when the Legion Sig's came out. So far, I've only put a few thousand rounds through it, but no issues. Good rifle.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Those good deals on the Sport II is what started me looking. That's when I saw the Ruger for even less.
I did see that the Ruger has a different barrel nut system but that it could be swapped out for AR standard if you want. Trying to find out now if there are other parts the same way.
It seems like there was something different about how their front sight tower was pinned that makes it difficult to change out to a regular gas block.

Latest posts

Top Bottom