Ruger GP100 now available in .44 spl!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like revolvers and the 44 Special (albeit not always that easy to buy ammo for). But it is a pretty heavy gun even considering it gave up the one round in the cylinder to make it a little thinner.

Even if it held eight I would likely pass just due to Ruger's "billboard" on the barrel. My two cents is it really makes the gun ugly.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oof. If I were wealthy enough to make impractical gun purchases I would be on this GP100 like a viper on a mouse.

Heck, I'll extend the fantasy -- I'd order 1000 rounds of this to feed it.

.44 Special is such a pleasure to shoot. Love that cartridge! But as a non-reloader I've always had to sell my .44s as too expensive to keep fed.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, revolvers and non-mil rifle rounds are where it pays to reload.

I can beat bulk 9mm and .223, but not by much.
Huh?

1000 rounds of 9mm:
Brass (fired range): $20
Primers: $35
Bullets: $60 (coated lead)
Powder: $12

That's $127 for a case of 1000 if you load them. When talking about brass cased ammo that's not an insignificant savings and it's still cheaper than crap like Brown Bear, Wolf, etc.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
But that's using coated lead. And yes, if you use cast or coated lead bullets, you can save significantly. If you are keeping apples to apples, then with jacketed bullets that's closer to $90/1000 if you buy in bulk. If you bought 1k 9mm jacketed you're looking at $100/1000.

If you compare "cheap crap" to lead projectiles, then are still ahead, by ~$0.03/rd.
If you compare brass cased jacketed, then you are still ahead by about the same amount.

Yes, if I compare used range brass to bullets I cast myself vs Speer Gold Dot ammo, I can put a spankin on it.

My point was this, for .357 Mag, $330/1000 for Geco ammo.

Brass (be conservative): $30
Primers (same): $35
Bullets (jacketed): $114
Powder (conservative): $24

$200/1000. Saving over $100/1000. And that's comparing 125gr jhp to some FJM. If you want soft/hollow point ammo it's another $100/1000.

That's what I mean by more savings. Any caliber that is .mil, can be had in bulk for cheap. Cuts the savings from reloading.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But that's using coated lead. And yes, if you use cast or coated lead bullets, you can save significantly. If you are keeping apples to apples, then with jacketed bullets that's closer to $90/1000 if you buy in bulk. If you bought 1k 9mm jacketed you're looking at $100/1000.

If you compare "cheap crap" to lead projectiles, then are still ahead, by ~$0.03/rd.
If you compare brass cased jacketed, then you are still ahead by about the same amount.

Yes, if I compare used range brass to bullets I cast myself vs Speer Gold Dot ammo, I can put a spankin on it.

My point was this, for .357 Mag, $330/1000 for Geco ammo.

Brass (be conservative): $30
Primers (same): $35
Bullets (jacketed): $114
Powder (conservative): $24

$200/1000. Saving over $100/1000. And that's comparing 125gr jhp to some FJM. If you want soft/hollow point ammo it's another $100/1000.

That's what I mean by more savings. Any caliber that is .mil, can be had in bulk for cheap. Cuts the savings from reloading.

Oh I agree that "commercial" calibers will justify reloading way faster. Same for shot shells, it just doesn't pay to load 7.5 shot 12ga target loads vs. buying bulk packs. But heavy hunting loads with larger shot sizes or other obscure gauges pay back really quick. The manufacturers can drop their profit margin because it's made up in volume with .mil calibers.

I thought you were implying that it didn't pay to load 9mm or .223, while it certainly does if you shoot enough. Nobody goes to target practice with Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST and few will even load jacketed in 9mm if they shoot very much. I've found that quality coated lead (Bayou, S&S, Acme, etc.) is every bit as accurate and sometimes more so than a lot of bulk jacketed. Just makes sense to use them if you are shooting a lot.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Oh I agree that "commercial" calibers will justify reloading way faster. Same for shot shells, it just doesn't pay to load 7.5 shot 12ga target loads vs. buying bulk packs. But heavy hunting loads with larger shot sizes or other obscure gauges pay back really quick. The manufacturers can drop their profit margin because it's made up in volume with .mil calibers.

I thought you were implying that it didn't pay to load 9mm or .223, while it certainly does if you shoot enough. Nobody goes to target practice with Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST and few will even load jacketed in 9mm if they shoot very much. I've found that quality coated lead (Bayou, S&S, Acme, etc.) is every bit as accurate and sometimes more so than a lot of bulk jacketed. Just makes sense to use them if you are shooting a lot.

100% agreed. I was just taking exception to comparing lead reloads (coated, plated, or not) to quality factory ammo; even for price purposes.

It's like an experiment I did with .38 spl to see if it could be loaded as cheap as .22lr. I could, even when .22 was under $0.05/rd. But that was using brass given to me, recycled-recast lead, and 2.8gr of bullseye. So my cost was 2.8gr of ($15/lb) bullseye and $19/1000 primers. Those were the very definition of "cheap crap." Smokey, leading, inaccurate, wimpy. But cheap!

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll follow with some other barrel lengths?

Also re-introducing the .357 Redhawk, this time with short barrel and milled for moon clips.

Hope to see that with longer barrels also, maybe even a Redhawk 9mm Match Champion version?

I'm still hoping to see a version of the Super Redhawk without the weird frame/barrel extension that looks more like a classic revolver.
I dont get it, if it were a 44 mag then I would but spl is expensive and has similar ballistics of a 45 acp. Just my thinking. The redhawk catches my eye though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom