Ruger GP100 now available in .44 spl!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think .44mag was too much for the cylinder. I would actually be more interested in a 4-6" barrel and target sights. A 5-shot .44 spl long barrel would be a nice target gun.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried many 44 Mags for years, especially backpacking in the Rockies. Never once needed it and became very fond of a moderate velocity 44 Special. I already have the $$ in my safe for my new woods and fishing gun. The 3" is a favorite also. I Had a 696 for a few years and shot it lots, eventually shooting it loose. I think the GP100 is a good choice for this and is stronger than the L frame. There are many 44 Mags out there for those that want that caliber.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The frame is surely strong enough for some stout hand loads. The .44 Spl can be loaded to be a good man stopper without all the histrionics of the full power .44 mag loads.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The frame is surely strong enough for some stout hand loads. The .44 Spl can be loaded to be a good man stopper without all the histrionics of the full power .44 mag loads.

^^^ That. .44 Special is not loaded near it's potential by the factories due to a bunch of old guns out there, but in a modern well constructed gun like the Ruger it can do way more than it appears from factory ballistics.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked mine up and like the look and feel. I've got it IWB right now and it feels better than the 44 Mountain Gun I carried like that for a number of years. The grips looked good but they were way big for my hand so I dug a pair of Ruger Compacts out of my box and that's whats on it now. Hope to get to shoot it in the next day or so.
017.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom