Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle 223 Stainless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get the tedious break in procedure when it hasn't ever been proven to be beneficial and you are a self admitted bad shot with a rifle. I'm also still trying to figure out why I'd want this rifle over a quality AR15. I see that it provides zero advantages.
And you are entitled to your POV. I think it's a great rifle and my marksmanship is improving.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can single load the Ruger without inserting the round into the magazine with no damage to the claw extractor. I had a M77 in 7 Mag I bought from TG&Y in the early 80's that you could single feed with no problems. You can also do this with Winchester M70's with claw extractors.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can single load the Ruger without inserting the round into the magazine with no damage to the claw extractor. I had a M77 in 7 Mag I bought from TG&Y in the early 80's that you could single feed with no problems. You can also do this with Winchester M70's with claw extractors.
From what knowledgeable people have told me, it is hard on the Mauser-style extractors to load rounds loose. In any event, that is not an issue any more.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.png

From what knowledgeable people have told me, it is hard on the Mauser-style extractors to load rounds loose. In any event, that is not an issue any more.

Maybe these knowledgeable people should tell the people at Ruger. This was taken from the Scout instruction manual.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, you weren't necessarily wrong, you were just a party to the old wives tale. Most commonly perpetuated by those who heard it from someone else (with little actual experience in the subject). I've shot control round feed rifles exclusively for 37 years and never experienced a single problem while single feeding.

I enjoyed your write up on the Scout. Ruger has come a long way and they seem to listen to the American shooter.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, you weren't necessarily wrong, you were just a party to the old wives tale. Most commonly perpetuated by those who heard it from someone else (with little actual experience in the subject). I've shot control round feed rifles exclusively for 37 years and never experienced a single problem while single feeding.

I enjoyed your write up on the Scout. Ruger has come a long way and they seem to listen to the American shooter.
Kinda like break in procedures...

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Any 'errors' I might have committed were on the side of caution and no harm was done to either me or the rifle.

I appreciate the kind words about the write-up. I think it is a great rifle and I am very happy with it. Anyone here care to guess what I am going to take to my range as soon as the ground dries up a bit more?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I emailed Ruger's CEO concerning the polymer magazines for the
223 GSR and I just got this response. Thought I'd share with you all.

If it happens, it will make a great rifle even better.
Tried the polymer magazine out today and I think I'm going to like it. While it is still somewhat hard to do, the rounds do snap in from the top, and that is much faster than the metal magazines furnished with the rifle. And I am sure that this is a matter of wearing the magazine in. With the metal mags, the rounds were slid in from the front just like a pistol magazine.

Because they can remain in the rifle, the polymer magazines are much faster to load.

The overall result for me is that a great rifle became even better. These magazines are worth the wait. And they are not as expensive as the original magazines.

I realize that some are not as enthusiastic about the GSR as I am and that's fine; for those who like the concept, the new magazines are a definite improvement.